UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Old 9th Feb 2022, 11:13 am   #1
mfred68
Diode

Default Pye 9123 help needed

Hi Guys
I have a Pye 9123 reel to reel in for repair, and the belts have all turned to goo.
I have replaced the belts but am very confused regarding how the takeup spool is driven.
From what i have seen in photos, there is a belt that goes from the bottom drive pully up to the takeup spool,(i cant see under the spool in the photos ive found online) but after removing the outer part of the takeup spool , it reveales a clutch type system on which i'm guessing the belt should be placed around, but there is no belt groove and if i place the belt around the clutch it just slips off as soon as there is any tension on the takeup spool.
Can anyone please advise or show a diagram of how the takeup spool needs to be driven?
mfred68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Feb 2022, 12:02 pm   #2
Norman Raeburn
Heptode

Default Re: Pye 9123 help needed

Hi, There was a thread about this, the link shows the belt threading top and bottom.https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...light=pye+9123 Post number 6, hope this helps, Norman
Norman Raeburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Feb 2022, 4:39 pm   #3
DMcMahon
Dekatron

The Service data manual that is available as a purchasable instant download from top right of screen does show a drive belt at the Take Up spool table, although from that alone not easy to work out exactly how the belt fits.

David
DMcMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Feb 2022, 4:51 pm   #4
mfred68
Diode

I had already seen that thread, (which is closed) Ive seen that picture, but is does not show where the belt sits on the takeup spool, in the photo it looks like its fitted under the brown colour spool, but under my spool is a white cluch but it has a flat edge, not a belt groove, and my belt just slips off as soon as any tape tension is applied.

I have attached a pic with a crude mouse drawing in orange of where i put the belt, but it just slips off. I usd a round sction belt that was supplied in the kit, is this correct or should i use a square section?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220209_163935.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	251524  
mfred68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Feb 2022, 8:13 pm   #5
dazzlevision
Dekatron

There were changes made during the course of production to the source of the drive for the clutch under the take up turntable. Originally, the clutch was driven by a belt between it and the motor pulley Later on, the clutch was driven by a belt coupled to the pulley at the front right hand side of the deck (the same pulley that drives the very long and thicker belt).

The attached photos may help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Philips N4308-15 take up clutch and belt.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	251534   Click image for larger version

Name:	Philips N4308-55 Nr 167359 top of deck - with flash.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	251535   Click image for larger version

Name:	Philips N4308-55 top of deck.jpg