UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Jun 2020, 5:21 pm   #1
retroaudio
Pentode

Default BSR HF100 Turntable

This looks like a mid 50s 3 speed turn table with no autochanger mechanism. It is currently housed in a Margolin Plus-a-gram case so was designed to be a portable turntable for use with a valve radio for an amplifier. The spindle in the middle is seized but there is nothing much else to go wrong. What I haven't seen before and I am looking for guidance on is the screening. the pick up has a black and red wire to a mono Acos cartridge. But when it leaves the record player for the amplifier the two cables are screened with woven wire mesh. I have never seen the before. usually only on cable is screened ? Why is this different.

Alex
Old 3rd Jun 2020, 5:55 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: BSR HF100 Turntable

This is from early 1955. You must be very careful when removing that dreaded 10" PLASTIC turntable so that is does not disintegrate around the bronze spindle boss. It may still have it's origianal BSR TC4 cartridge which is totally unsuitable for modern records OR it may have a later stereo cartridge fitted which might explain the twin screened leads.
Old 4th Jun 2020, 9:22 am   #3
retroaudio
Pentode

Hi luckily the plastic turntable is in very good condition. I only want to use it for 78s so i will probably put a similar cartridge in

Alex
Old 4th Jun 2020, 3:57 pm   #4
regentone001
Heptode

if you are only going to use it for 78s check the original, TC4, cartridge. I have several of these and they all work as do the ACOS GP37s that I have several of

Steve
Old 4th Jun 2020, 5:45 pm   #5
Herald1360
Dekatron

The twin (if it's twisted, even better) and screen lead is potentially useful- the shield can be grounded to the amp or radio chassis and the floating signal leads can be connected arbitrarily to the PU inputs. Might even avoid a hum loop!
.........O..Chris....O
Closed Thread