UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Oct 2019, 12:01 am   #1
gw3xjc
Retired Dormant Member

Default Philips EL3541/15B

Hi , I’m trying to help a very good friend of mine out. He has a Philips EL3541/15b with no rewind . He is capable of fault finding and I managed to get hold of a manual EL3541 but he tells me that it is different from the 15b model he has.
What is the difference and is this 15b manual available and what in your experience could be causing the No Rewind issue .
Regards roger
Old 24th Oct 2019, 9:03 am   #2
ricard
Octode

Default Re: Philips EL3541/15B

An akilles heal on this machine are the three friction studs which are located between the reel holder and the underlying pulley. The disintegrate with age, causing either complete loss of the corresponding wind, or a scraping sound, both coupled with the reel holder dropping abnormally much when the corresponding wind mode is engaged.

Original replacement studs are long gone, but they can be fabricated by hand using a suitable material; cork is my favorite, and others have tried various forms of hard rubber such as the kind used for door stoppers, with success.

BTW, the take-up reel studs will most likely fail soon even if they are ok now, so it makes sense to renew them all while at it.

I don't know of any major differences between various EL3541 models, except for the casing, especially not when it comes to the mechanics. This model did come in a variety of case styles though but the actual chassis is not affected.
Old 24th Oct 2019, 11:12 am   #3
whiskas
Octode

Default Re: Philips EL3541/15B

Hi Roger
I believe I have an EL3541 awaiting breaking in my storage unit.
If you can show photos of the part you need, I can see if the same part is present/useable on the one I have.
Cheers
Rob