UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Old 6th Dec 2019, 8:22 am   #1
djmk1988
Tetrode

Default 16/24 track Reel to reel Recorder

I am interesting in a multitrack reel to reel tape deck for my personal studio.
I won't mind if the machine is faulty as long as it's in a complete shape as I have the knowledge and resource to bring it back to life.
Any make is welcome !
djmk1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Dec 2019, 3:14 pm   #2
camtechman
Nonode

Default Re: Multitrack Reel to reel Recorder

What budget range?
Old 9th Dec 2019, 5:55 pm   #3
djmk1988
Tetrode

I'm ok to pay some money if the machine is worth it.
Anywhere between 50 and 450 pound
Old 9th Dec 2019, 7:18 pm   #4
stevehertz
Dekatron

Just going on my own experience, I had a TEAC 3340S 4-track (4-channel) machine and it was superb in every way.
Old 10th Dec 2019, 7:06 am   #5
djmk1988
Tetrode

I need a 16/24 track machine to be more precise 4 track is way, way too little!
Old 11th Dec 2019, 7:47 am   #6
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Default Re: 16/24 track Reel to reel Recorder

The machine is only the start, hope you're a rich man, tape ain't for the hard up. You used to be able to pick up Tascams and Fostexs off Ebay for about the price you mention 5 or six years ago but tape has become more popular as you know, so prices have gone up. Doubt you'll get a decent working one for that, unless your lucky. I got out of tape and bought some old Digi 002 8 track AI's.

What I'm trying to say is have a good look at your decision to use tape, 16/24 tracks are complex (lots of logic), take some maintainance and hours of setting up properly before each session, 1" tape is very expensive, spares aren't cheap etc etc. If you like the tape sound just use a DAW then put an extra track on and hiss down the mic : )

Having said all that a cheap way of getting the tape sound is to use a mono deck for recording, then dub to Protools or whatever.

Sorry, no 24 track just friendly advice. Andy.
Old 11th Dec 2019, 8:07 am   #7
joebog1
Octode

I used to operate/run an Ampex 24 channel 2" tape. Forgotten the model number.

Slowest speed was 15 IPS. That's 35 years ago!!. Tape back then, for a pancake was a little over $200 Australian. A single pancake in 15IPS mode lasted about 20 minutes, with stop/starts.

About the same as half a weeks wages.
It was connected to an 48 channel Neve mixer.
I wish you luck !!

Joe
joebog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Dec 2019, 12:29 am   #8
jamesperrett
Octode

A reel of half inch tape for a Fostex 16 track is now around 90 which will last half an hour at 15ips. A reel of 2" tape is around 300. I wouldn't recommend using secondhand tape unless you have checked personally that it isn't faulty. Ampex tape is almost guaranteed to shed badly and many 3M tapes have gone the same way.

You will probably find a 16 track Fostex in your price range which is a perfectly usable machine although there's something about a big 2" machine that makes it seem more satisfying to use.
jamesperrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Dec 2019, 4:45 pm   #9
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Quote:
A reel of half inch tape for a Fostex 16 track is now around 90 which will last half an hour at 15ips. A reel of 2" tape is around 300.
Yep, not cheap and you really need to buy a box full unless you want to setup the recorder for each different tape. I bought a box full of 50 brand new 1" mastering tape years ago just before tape started getting popular, used two reels sold the rest for 30. This after paying a fiver for a Revox B77, Teac 4 track and a Fostex 16 track as well as spiders and a dustbin full of cables from the local tip after a local studio had chucked them out.

Andy.