UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Dec 2009, 11:39 am   #1
Jack Spark
Retired Dormant Member

Default Battery Supply

Hello all

Am thinking about building a few things next year, one of them requires a supply of 9V at about 750mA.

I know this is quite high but anyone have any advice as to what batteries to use to make the device portable?
A PP3 will not last long so am wondering if AA or D batteries would be a better option?

Thanks

Jack
Old 24th Dec 2009, 11:43 am   #2
YT2095UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Battery Supply

6 rechargable `D`s or a 12v SLA with a regulator would do it.
Old 24th Dec 2009, 12:03 pm   #3
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

I've just looked at Maplins SLA's and RLA's and initial cost is a problem. There's a RLA, 12V @ 7Ah which would allow continuous use for around what, 9 hours? but it's hideously expensive. Capacity of SLA's isn't very convenient and I don't know if the rechargeable version would suit your requirements ie portability.

With the required current of 750mA you want to avoid the need to change/recharge lower capacity batteries at frequent intervals.

On balance, perhaps two or even three PP9's in parallel would be a reasonable option if bulkiness, as with the lead-acid's, isn't too much of a problem.
Old 24th Dec 2009, 12:13 pm   #4
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

7Ah SLA from Screwfix. Still a heavy lump but not stupidly expensive.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/38315/...0-x-65-x-151mm
Old 25th Dec 2009, 1:58 pm   #5
Sound Man
Tetrode

7Ah SLA from Rapid Electronics. Even cheaper.

http://www.rapidonline.com
Old 25th Dec 2009, 11:54 pm   #6
glowinganode
Octode

I think a rechargeable battery would be best here, a 7Ah sealed lead acid would be ideal though you could go smaller if it's only for intermittant use.
How about a Ni-Cad pack from a remote control car? Not sure of the Ah capacity, but I seem to recall they're 9.6V
Rob.