UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Oct 2021, 4:14 pm   #21
bobhowe
Heptode

Default Re: What Was The Popular TV That People Watched Queen Elizabeth's Coronation on in 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERNSEH View Post
In the December 1979 an article about the Bush TV22 by Malcolm Burrell we learn that the designers of the set, Messrs, Asbury, Wright and Lloyd of Bush presented a paper to the then Television Society describing their new baby.
The final paragraph of the article states: "Many have said that the Coronation put TV on the map. This is indeed true, but one wonders how many people would not have been able to afford to see it had the TV22 not been around?"

DFWB.
Hi David as Trevor says in post 13 how times have changed the TV22 being cheaper then the wooden cabinet TV24. Now the tables have turned TV22 is more sought after and, as you say, if the TV22 had not been around many people would have not seen the coronation.
Old 16th Oct 2021, 4:37 pm   #22
unitelex
Hexode

Default Re: What Was The Popular TV That People Watched Queen Elizabeth's Coronation on in 19

A friend of mine told me years ago that he had watched it on an oscilloscope with a DIY TV receiver front end

Chris
Old 16th Oct 2021, 6:15 pm   #23
bobhowe
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitelex View Post
A friend of mine told me years ago that he had watched it on an oscilloscope with a DIY TV receiver front end

Chris
Hi Chris would have liked to see that project
Old 16th Oct 2021, 8:46 pm   #24
FERNSEH
Dekatron

The Pye FV1 was sold in large numbers, in fact many were sold in the North-East of England and tuned to the Holm Moss transmitter. The set was in production 1951 to 1952. No doubt many folks would have watched the Coronation on that model.
The Pontop Pike transmitter was ready just in time for the Coronation.

DFWB.
Old 16th Oct 2021, 10:32 pm   #25
bobhowe
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERNSEH View Post
The Pye FV1 was sold in large numbers, in fact many were sold in the North-East of England and tuned to the Holm Moss transmitter. The set was in production 1951 to 1952. No doubt many folks would have watched the Coronation on that model.
The Pontop Pike transmitter was ready just in time for the Coronation.

DFWB.
That explains why even today why when TV22s are offered for sale not many are form the North East kind regards Bob
Old 16th Oct 2021, 10:49 pm   #26
majoconz
Heptode

Chris said:
Quote:
My Dad and Fred Turner, G3VI, both worked at Marconi's Chelmsford - Fred had built a TV receiver in his ham shack/garden shed using a green screen display and seemingly racks of equipment to me - I was seven years old at the time. I recall the picture was of Sylvia Peters reading something - I don't remember any sound. Grandad came to live with us in 1952 and he was profoundly deaf so we bought a TV - I traced it back to a Ferguson 998T - this was probably early 1953. I think it was rather scratchy signal - we were living in Braintree, Essex but I have no idea where the signal came from. The TV was in the front lounge (where else!) and the room was packed with neighbours for the Coronation - all the kids sat on the floor down the front so really had the best view. There were snacks and nibbles for all and some mysterious brown liquid that Dad and all the men were drinking. The party went on for ages - long after my bedtime!
Old 17th Oct 2021, 5:43 am   #27
Viewmaster
Hexode

Didn't anyone use their own home built TV, as I did ?
Old 17th Oct 2021, 9:18 am   #28
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Yes the very well designed Viewmaster. I believe there were huge numbers built. Thinking about it if you had built a Viewmaster in 1950 at the age of 25 you would now be 93!
It's a pity but I doubt many of the original builders will still be with us. J.
Old 17th Oct 2021, 10:50 am   #29
paulsherwin

While some people did have a TV22 installed for the Coronation, it was many fewer than seem to be in the national folk memory. Even TV22s were extremely expensive by today's standards, and the programming available was very limited. Most people were still radio listeners - the arrival of ITV a few years later was actually more important in driving TV adoption.

Lots of TV22s survive because they were a very expensive purchase that became obsolete quickly. People were very reluctant to just throw them away, so they went into garages, sheds and lofts where the bakelite cases lasted much better than wooden ones.
Old 17th Oct 2021, 12:05 pm   #30
bobhowe
Heptode

Hi Albert that going be a new thread has any one still got a home built TV . Hi Paul without going OT everything then was expensive then compared to today i bet most of the TV22s were rental sets ?
Old 17th Oct 2021, 12:13 pm   #31
Station X

I don't think TV rental started in the UK until the 1960's. As you're willing to bet on this no doubt you have better information?

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 17th Oct 2021, 12:25 pm   #32
bobhowe
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
I don't think TV rental started in the UK until the 1960's. As you're willing to bet on this no doubt you have better information?
Hi Graham Radio Rentals started in the UK in 1930 with a turnover of £780 in its first year in todays money over £49.000 and they started TV manufacturing in 1948 and by 1952 they were the largest TV rental company.

Last edited by bobhowe; 17th Oct 2021 at 12:32 pm.
Old 17th Oct 2021, 12:50 pm   #33
Station X

This site suggests that RR didn't start TV rental until 1964.

https://mancunian1001.wordpress.com/...lost-precinct/

Of course we don't believe everything we read on the internet.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 17th Oct 2021, 1:07 pm   #34
ms660
Dekatron

TV rental took off after ITV became available in the 1950's, my parents rented their first TV circa 1957/58.

The first place I worked at in the trade in 1964 had a whole floor of an old factory/warehouse dedicated to rental TV repairs.

Lawrence.
Old 17th Oct 2021, 2:15 pm   #35
bobhowe
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post
TV rental took off after ITV became available in the 1950's, my parents rented their first TV circa 1957/58.

The first place I worked at in the trade in 1964 had a whole floor of an old factory/warehouse dedicated to rental TV repairs.

Lawrence.
Thanks Lawrence in 1952 Radio Rentals were producing selling and renting TVs and became the biggest player in rental TVs when they bought out RentaSet in 1964
Old 17th Oct 2021, 2:29 pm   #36
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobhowe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post

Lawrence.
Thanks Lawrence in 1952 Radio Rentals were producing selling and renting TVs and became the biggest player in rental TVs when they bought out RentaSet in 1964
My memory doesn't go back to 1952 at least not regarding TV, the TV rental took off when the ITV channels came into being, because they were showing programs that most folks wanted to watch, they were to the BBC TV like what the pirate radio stations were to BBC radio.

I remember the Radio Rentals Baird TV's back in '64, Mazel's Radio (Manchester) which was just round the corner from where I worked (Fred Dawes) used to sell them for cash....:

https://www.manchesterbeat.com/index...ps/mazel-radio

Lawrence.
Old 17th Oct 2021, 2:43 pm   #37
bobhowe
Heptode

Hi Lawrence if you go on the Science+ Media Museum site Ian Baird on the 15th November 2013 gives a history on the Bradford Led The Way In Modern TV Manufacturing and he quotes thst Radio Rentals were the largest company in TV rental business by 1952 must have been happy days in 64 as i was born in 65
Old 17th Oct 2021, 2:46 pm   #38
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

There are many pairs of tinted glasses when it comes to the Coronation and the BUSH TV22. I don't think the TV22 was still in production in the early months of 1953 so the idea of buying one 'for the Coronation' has to be taken with a cube of sugar.

The TV22A was available but sold in very small quantities. It's quite a rare receiver. More likely a TV32, TV34 series would have been purchased to view the historic day if indeed it had been purchased in time for the event.

The vast majority of the TV22s were sold before the King died in 1952
Just a thought but I think the 'nine inch Bush' term was used a bit like the Dansette
name is for record players. John.
Old 17th Oct 2021, 2:57 pm   #39
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobhowe View Post
must have been happy days in 64 as i was born in 65
The wage I was paid was absolute sh*te, got my driving license as soon as I could and did outside TV servicing, the wage was still sh*te but at least we could take the service van home (great for doing foreigners) Typical service callout load in the Manchester area with a large firm was 12 to 15 service calls per day and sometimes more, it was always crap, the only way I could upgrade the crap wages in the trade was to go and work for Sony in Canada, within about 18 months of working there I had saved up enough cash (real money) to buy outright our first house back in the UK.

Anyways I digress.

Lawrence.
Old 18th Oct 2021, 5:19 am   #40
Viewmaster
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
Yes the very well designed Viewmaster. I believe there were huge numbers built. Thinking about it if you had built a Viewmaster in 1950 at the age of 25 you would now be 93!
It's a pity but I doubt many of the original builders will still be with us. J.
I built mine before the Coronation, as a teenager.
Couldn't afford a new 9 inch CRT so bought a second hand one with an initial cathode/heater short at warm up.

The evening I first switched it on, and after some rough alignment, my patents and I watched the 8 o/clock news. The vertical scan coil, at first, was connected in reverse, such that the news was upside down !

Oh, how I wish that I had kept it.
Closed Thread