UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 10th May 2018, 4:10 pm   #1
percival007
Heptode

Default HMV 2041 Transistor Record Player

Hi Folks,

I have an HMV 2041 Transistor Record Player which has very little sound Output.

I have replaced all the Electrolytics in the Amplifier and am pretty confident the Amp is working as it should. If I input a signal into the Tape or Tuner Input all seems good.

I looked on this Forum and found a thread about the Ceramic Cartridge which is fitted, the BSR X3M and carefully took it apart as per the instructions on the thread. I could see no real damage but thought one of the contact strips wasn't in the correct orientation. Am I right in thinking that these just touch the Caramic 'energiser' (I don't know what the technical term is !!) ?

When I reassembled it, I could 'scope more of a pulse when the stylus was touched with the end of my finger and I think I now have more Output than when I started !
However, I still don't think it is right.
I have tried a replacement X3M purchased from ebay at not inconsiderable cost but this produces NO output at all !! I shall endeavour to try and get a refund.

In the meantime, has anyone any experience on this unit and can anyone offer any suggestions for getting it working properly again?

Many thanks in advance,

James.

Last edited by percival007; 10th May 2018 at 4:12 pm. Reason: Grammar
Old 10th May 2018, 5:24 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: HMV 2041 Transistor Record Player

You were very brave in attempting a cartridge repair! As to the amplifier, are you getting a strong buzz when touhing the amplifier input, usually the volume control slider?
Old 10th May 2018, 5:47 pm   #3
Station X

Given that the player works when a signal is fed to the tape and tuner inputs, which are on the input side of the volume control, I'd say that the problem is with the cartridge, its connecting leads or the 1M5 resistor.

Checking voltages is always useful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HMV2041.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	162569  

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 10th May 2018, 8:38 pm   #4
Biggles
Rest in Peace

C13 may be faulty, or the aux input sockets may have some kind of s/c internally ,dragging the signal down by the action of the potential divider formed by the 47K and 1.5M resistors. Unlikely but worth ruling out.
Alan.
Old 18th May 2018, 7:56 am   #5
percival007
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
Given that the player works when a signal is fed to the tape and tuner inputs, which are on the input side of the volume control, I'd say that the problem is with the cartridge, its connecting leads or the 1M5 resistor.

Checking voltages is always useful.
Hi,

thanks for the replies.
Managed to get a refund from the seller.
Definitely get a nice buzz from the Amp if I toug=ch the connectors on the cartridge. Leads from the cartridge measure good. Checked the 1M5 resistor, measured 1M8. Changed it anyway but still the same.

I think it has to be the cartridge.
Any suggestions as to what else could be fitted with the same mountings as the X3M?

Thanks,

James.
Old 18th May 2018, 8:45 am   #6
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

The BSR X5M will be an ideal cartridge, that's if there are still stocks left.
If not, try a BSR SC11M. This is a stereo cartridge so you will need to bridge the LH and RH channels. Also it has a lower output than the X5M. All will fit the same mount the X3M.
Old 18th May 2018, 9:35 pm   #7
percival007
Heptode

Thank-you.

J
Closed Thread