UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 12th May 2018, 10:11 pm   #1
ckbrooks
Retired Dormant Member

Default Uher 4200 Report Monitor line inputs query & request for owner's manual

Hello,

My new Uher acquisition; a 4200 report monitor 2-track stereo, seems to work fine, but when recording from the radio/phone DIN jack on the side (which is the only method I've tried as yet) means that the right hand track needs to have its volume up hugely more than the left to get a correct VU reading. Also, even with the meters properly adjusted, it seems very easy to get distortion on the inout signal.

I've bought a standard DIN to 2 phono lead to try it out and sending an iPod through the two phonos. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a better way of recording onto the machine? What is one input signal so much higher than the other?

Any help gratefully received!!

Also, does anyone perhaps have a 4200 Report monitor owners manual that may be willing to share?

Thanks again!

Clive
Old 12th May 2018, 11:45 pm   #2
Alistair D
Nonode

Default Re: Uher 4200 Report Monitor line inputs query & request for owners manual

Try this

http://tonbandwelt.magnetofon.de/uhe...anl/anleit.htm

Al
Old 13th May 2018, 5:56 am   #3
ckbrooks
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Uher 4200 Report Monitor line inputs query & request for owners manual

Thank you, but unfortunately this is for the IC model and is in German. Mine is the 4200 Report Monitor, so I'm still looking!

Any thoughts on the line input problem?

Regards

Clive
Old 13th May 2018, 7:03 am   #4
Synchrodyne
Nonode

If I have this right, the radio/phono input DIN socket on some Uher equipment is wired to accommodate both lower level and higher levels inputs on different pins.

If say the 2 x Phono to DIN lead that you are using sends the right-channel signal to a higher- level pin and the left-channel signal to a lower-level pin, then that might explain the effect that you are seeing/hearing. Also, a typical “line” level signal might be inclined to overload the lower level input.

The closest I can get in terms of an illustrative schematic is that for the Uher 121 mixer, intended to work with the Uher tape recorders of the era, and which might be presumed to have similar input facilities to those tape recorders. I have highlighted the dual-purpose DIN inputs.

The accompanying text in the book from which the schematic is taken indicates that the higher-level input had an impedance of 1 M and accepted signal levels over the range 70 mV to 10 V, whereas the lower-level input had an impedance of 47 k and accepted input signal levels over the range 3.5 to 500 mV.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hellyer p.150.jpg
Views:	691
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	162721 Click image for larger version

Name:	Hellyer p.151.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	162722

I’d suggest as a first step trying a 4 x phono to DIN lead. That way, two of those phono ends will correspond to the left and right higher-level inputs, which are those that you need for your signal source.

Cheers,
Old 13th May 2018, 10:33 am   #5
barretter
Heptode

Default Re: Uher 4200 Report Monitor line inputs query & request for owner's manual

You can find the English version of the 4200 Report Monitor user manual on Hi-Fi Engine at:
https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_li...0-report.shtml

but you may have sign up for membership before it will download. Membership is free.

Scroll down to "Monitor instruction.....Marcovalleggi" and you will find a PDF of the manual. It is too large to upload here.
Old 13th May 2018, 12:43 pm   #6
camtechman
Nonode

Default Re: Uher 4200 Report Monitor line inputs query & request for owner's manual

Quote:
You can find the English version of the 4200 Report Monitor user manual on Hi-Fi Engine
That's the Report Stereo IC Not the Monitor.
Old 13th May 2018, 12:45 pm   #7
camtechman
Nonode

Here's The 4200 Report Monitor (Section 10: Specifications. Pages: 42 & 43))
Attached Files
File Type: doc Uher RM 4200 #1.doc (283.5 KB, 300 views)
File Type: doc Uher RM 4200 #2.doc (420.0 KB, 227 views)
Old 13th May 2018, 1:04 pm   #8
barretter
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by camtechman View Post
Quote:
You can find the English version of the 4200 Report Monitor user manual on Hi-Fi Engine
That's the Report Stereo IC Not the Monitor.
There are several downloads on that page and one of them is for the 4200 Report Monitor, as I specified. Have you actually looked?
Old 13th May 2018, 1:09 pm   #9
barretter
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by camtechman View Post
Here's The 4200 Report Monitor (Section 10: Specifications. Pages: 42 & 43))
These are just 2 pages out of 43 - the entire document is where I said it was and it's 9.5Mb which is why I could not upload it in its entirety.
Old 13th May 2018, 1:35 pm   #10
camtechman
Nonode

Thanks for that information.
Old 14th May 2018, 12:55 pm   #11
barretter
Heptode

I think Synchrodyne is correct and your phono-to-Din cable is incorrectly wired for use with the Uher. The recording input pins on the Din socket are 1 and 4 and the signal output pins are 3 and 5. They are separated from each other by 470K resistors, so if one phono is connected to pin 1 and the other to pin 3, the 470K resistor will attenuate the signal being seen by the recording circuit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4200monitor.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	162825  
Old 14th May 2018, 2:45 pm   #12
julie_m
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckbrooks View Post
I've bought a standard DIN to 2 phono lead to try it out
There are at least three ways that a DIN to 2*phono lead could be wired, and those are just the sensible ones! (In all cases pin 2 is common earth.)

(1) One plug to pin 1, other plug to pin 4 (high-sensitivity, low-impedance record inputs on a tape recorder; recording outputs on an amplifier).
(2) One plug to pin 3, other plug to pin 5 (low-sensitivity, high-impedance record inputs or playback outputs on a tape recorder; inputs on an amplifier).
(3) One plug to pins 1 and 4 together, other plug to pins 3 and 5 together (combine stereo signals into a mono input, or send a mono output to both stereo inputs).
Old 14th May 2018, 5:24 pm   #13
ckbrooks
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you everyone! I’ve joined hifi engine and got the manual. I’ve also ordered a 5 pin din to 4 phonos as suggested, and hope that may solve the problem. I will report back when I’ve tested it.

I recorded something in stereo on another reel to reel, known to be fine, and when playing back on the Uher, noticed that one channel was lower than the other. Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks very much for everything so far!

Clive
Old 14th May 2018, 5:34 pm   #14
barretter
Heptode

I think what is happening is that the Uher 4200 radio-phono socket has contacts 1 & 4 as high-sensitivity inputs and contacts 3 & 5 as high-level outputs, but as the inputs and outputs are connected together with 470K resistors, contacts 1 & 4 can also function as low-level outputs and contacts 3 & 5 can function as low-sensitivity inputs.
Presumably the OP's cable is connecting one of the iPod's channels to a high-sensitivity input and the other to a low-sensitivity input so the solution, as Synchrodyne suggested, is use a 5-pin Din plug connected to 4 phono-plugs and suck it and see.
Old 14th May 2018, 5:35 pm   #15
barretter
Heptode

Posts crossed!
Old 16th May 2018, 6:47 pm   #16
ckbrooks
Retired Dormant Member

Hello everyone.... the din to 4 phonos arrived today, and it has done the job. The inputs are both the same level and they don’t distort. It’s the perfect solution! Thank you very much indeed.

I’ve got just one problem left on this particular machine.... when I press the pause control, the take up reel won’t quite stop turning. Any thoughts for a fix for this?
Old 17th May 2018, 4:00 am   #17
camtechman
Nonode

Quote:
"when I press the pause control, the take up reel won’t quite stop turning"
That reminds me, mine is doing the same thing (again) and I must get round to adjusting the brake mechs. (p.s. It's a bit of a bitch to get it right)

I'll take a look at my service manual and post the relevant page/s on here.

Last edited by camtechman; 17th May 2018 at 4:18 am.
Old 18th May 2018, 10:28 am   #18
camtechman
Nonode

WHOOPS, I can't find the section. I lent the SM to a friend but didn't check it after he returned it. I've left messages and hope he has them.

Will report back.
Old 18th May 2018, 12:57 pm   #19
barretter
Heptode

You can download the 4200 Report Monitor service manual from the Hi-Fi -Engine link I posted above. Just navigate down to "Monitor service manual (no schematics) ...Ivy Caudieus" and click on the link.
Old 21st May 2018, 8:00 pm   #20
julie_m
Dekatron

The service manual is also available from elektrotanya.com. One file with English, French and German text.