UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 10th May 2018, 9:54 pm   #1
JohnBHanson
Heptode

Default Problem with HMV tape recorder model 2204

This appears to be working, but the fast-forward and rewind does not move the reel tables to engage.

This is due to the L shaped metal that rotates to reposition the reel tables being frozen. This is very frozen and it takes considerable force to move them (eg needs leverage).

What is the best way of freeing them. I am also struggling to get the smaller circlips off.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Also any advice on case restoration. It would be nice to get this to working order.
Thanks all.
Old 11th May 2018, 9:17 am   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Problem with HMV tape recorder model 2204

I'd rather not advise as to the mechanical problem, not so familar with the deck in yours. As to the cosmetics: Use white spirit to clean the front metal grille, use a kitchen detergent and toothbrush for the rexine covering, removable tarnished case fittings can be soaked in vinegar to remove oxidisation, fraying/ loose coverings can be fixed with an impact adhesive. If the covering stains are stubborn use Cif (formerly Jif) on the toothbrush sparingly. If the front grill is dented you may need to remove the speaker and dress out from behind. You can add a sheen to the covering with a wax polish. Hope you can get the mechanics sorted, the circuit design in this gives a good account of itself.
Old 11th May 2018, 2:02 pm   #3
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

A further thought, the tape deck in your recorder is a THORN FTD4 and the service sheet for this can be downloaded from this site for £1.99 - see the top RHS of this page.
Old 11th May 2018, 3:50 pm   #4
dazzlevision
Dekatron

I assume you’ve removed the turntables.

What I then do is remove the circlip that holds the diecast "L" shaped casting onto the cylindrical shaft, using a small slotted screwdriver to prise it off the shaft.

If the circlips are "C" shaped, with no very small circular holes at the open end, you can insert the screwdriver between the shaft and the "closed" end of the circlip and twist to prise it off. If the circlip has the two small holes at the open end, then it is a "grip ring" and you'll need a suitable special tool to remove it (i.e. "grip ring pliers"). You could try inserting a small screwdriver between the underside of the grip ring and the L part, to prise it upwards, but you risk damaging the grip ring, the shaft and the L shaped casting (not recommended).

Then, I apply heat from a suitably beefy electric soldering iron to the top of the shaft and this warms up the assembly and softens the hardened grease until you can swivel the L part back and forth, whilst gently pulling it upwards. This should allow you to completely remove it from the shaft it fits over.

I then use a cotton bud soaked in a solvent to clean the old grease off both the L part and shaft, before applying fresh grease ansd reassembling.

Last edited by dazzlevision; 11th May 2018 at 4:00 pm. Reason: Corrections and additional text.
Closed Thread