UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Apr 2018, 9:27 pm   #1
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Default Dating an Ekco Thermovent FRC1 convector heater

A friend of mine owns one of these heaters, which has a broken element but between us we hope to restore it to working order. The Bakelite front panel is in virtually perfect condition. It was apparently designed for Ekco by the legendary Wells Coates.

At first I thought it was pre-war, but I've found adverts purporting to be from 1953. A search of the Forum has yielded no results.

I wonder if anyone can help us date this lovely heater more accurately, please?

Phil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7477.jpg
Views:	545
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	161550   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7476.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	161551   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ekco Thermovent 1953 advert.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	161552  

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts

Last edited by Phil G4SPZ; 21st Apr 2018 at 9:29 pm. Reason: Advertisement added
Old 25th Apr 2018, 1:25 pm   #2
kevinb
Pentode

Default Re: Dating an Ekco Thermovent FRC1 convector heater

a google search suggests its late 1930's (1936)
Old 25th Apr 2018, 1:42 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Don't overlook the fact that well-designed products often had a very long production run in those days - think of the GPO 300-series phones.
Old 25th Apr 2018, 4:43 pm   #4
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

I initially thought 1930s myself, and I believe Wells Coates did an original design for Ekco back then. But I'm fairly sure that Ekco brought out this second and later version after the war.

There was also a 2kW model that looked very similar apart from being nearly twice as wide.

Good point, Nick, although the wording of the advert suggests that this new model was only now coming onto the market, perhaps after wartime restrictions had been relaxed.

Last edited by Phil G4SPZ; 25th Apr 2018 at 4:46 pm. Reason: Afterthought & typo
Old 25th Apr 2018, 4:54 pm   #5
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

I’ve got one of these heaters! Mine is missing the little red bulb cover with the Ekco badge moulded into it, but otherwise works perfectly. Not sure on the date of it, but would be interesting to find out.

One thing I have noticed about mine is that the elements have what look like asbestos spacers between them. There is also a piece of said stuff with a bit of heater wire wrapped round it and connected to the pilot bulb.

I must rescue mine from under the stairs, last time I looked it had moulded growing on it

Regards
Lloyd
Old 25th Apr 2018, 5:55 pm   #6
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Yes Lloyd, I noticed that nasty white stuff. It could actually be "asbestolux" or some other less hazardous material. I'm keeping well clear of it myself, as the owner has taken advice and proposes to attempt to repair the broken element, out of doors and with proper precautions.

I hope you manage to resurrect yours. It did occur to me that, if the element was completely shot, there's enough room within the case to house and conceal a modern fan heater, blowing upwards. Be nice to keep it original if you can, though.

Old 21st Jun 2018, 8:55 pm   #7
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

A quick update and a further question. This restoration is progressing well; the broken element has been repaired, and the owner is currently obtaining some suitably-coloured 'vintage' flex.

Now then... does anyone know the voltage and current rating of the small MES bulb? This is shunted by the resistance wire, as Lloyd previously mentioned, and is wired in series with the main element and thermostat, so the red light will indicate when the element is energised by the thermostat.

Sadly the legend on the bulb's cap is illegible. Being made by Ekco, my guess is they'd have used the standard 6 volt dial bulbs that they fitted in their radios of the same period. So I'll start with 6.3V 300mA and see how it goes!

The other bulb in this heater is fairly obvious; a 60 Watt BC 'fireglow' lamp in the base of the heater and wired across the mains input, so indicating whenever the heater is plugged in.

Old 21st Jun 2018, 10:23 pm   #8
Herald1360
Dekatron

Domestic irons often used a standard 2.5v 0.3a MES bulb in a similar way. If you measure the voltage across the resistor you'll get a good idea where to start.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 21st Jun 2018, 11:00 pm   #9
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald1360 View Post
If you measure the voltage across the resistor...
Hmmm... would that it were so easy! I may have to do that in the end. Unfortunately, this is not the easiest device to gain access to, and I was hoping not to have to undertake any 'live' measurements at all! As wired, both sides of the bulb are at or near line potential. I suppose if a 6.3 volt bulb glows too dimly, I could just swap it for a lower voltage one. Common sense says that they'd want to dissipate the lowest amount of power possible in the bulb's shunt, hence the lowest voltage bulb would be used.

Old 22nd Jun 2018, 12:27 am   #10
TrevorG3VLF
Rest in Peace

I have an EKCO heater with a steel case. i wanted to replace the bulb and saw what appeared to be asbestos.I reassembled it and put it away, I did not want asbestos fibres floating aound the room.
Old 27th Jun 2018, 9:00 am   #11
Brigham
Octode

It is always best to work outside when asbestos fibres are present. I use a simple DIY-type mask, too, especially if I'm drilling or sawing.
Old 23rd Sep 2018, 2:16 am   #12
MurphyNut
Heptode

I have two of these lovely heaters, one not working but serves it's time in my Bakelite museum, the other one I fixed by replacing the broken element with one from a much newer heater. It works really well and heats my Summerhouse during the winter. This Ekco heater is a very well thought out and designed object, it can pump out some serious heat without the Bakelite getting remotely hot and it's very pleasing to the eye.
Old 23rd Sep 2018, 7:22 am   #13
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Yes Clive, I agree about the styling. I'm meeting up with the owner again in October, hopefully to complete the reassembly. She has polished the Bakelite and sourced a new vintage-looking 3-core flex in gold, which matches the grille and looks superb.

Old 24th Sep 2018, 9:55 am   #14
Karen O
Rest in Peace

I have to say, whenever I see the words 'dating a ...' I feel a tinge of sadness. Our vintage stuff is awesome, but they make lousy conversation. They don't even mow the grass or clear the leaves from the gutter!

Distraction over - return to on topic.
Old 26th Sep 2018, 11:19 am   #15
mole42uk
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen O View Post
I have to say, whenever I see the words 'dating a ...' I feel a tinge of sadness. Our vintage stuff is awesome, but they make lousy conversation. They don't even mow the grass or clear the leaves from the gutter!

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
Old 20th Oct 2018, 7:52 pm   #16
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

I can finally wind up this thread, as the heater is now repaired, reassembled, PAT tested and back with its owner. The MES indicator bulb turned out to be rated at 3.5 volts ~200mA.

Old 1st Jan 2019, 10:27 am   #17
skodajag
Pentode

Re dating: Bonhams sold two of these heaters in 2011 for £480, and attributed them to Wells Coates design of 1936
Old 1st Jan 2019, 1:40 pm   #18
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

The valuation is interesting, so thanks for that!

The smaller of the two was definitely pre-war, but the larger one (same type as I’ve worked on) does appear to be an updated design released after the War. I’m basing this opinion on the reference in the advert, which mentions “electricity showrooms” and these only came into existence after the Area Electricity Boards were established by the Electricity Act in 1947.

Last edited by Phil G4SPZ; 1st Jan 2019 at 1:46 pm. Reason: Further info added
Closed Thread