UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Apr 2018, 1:31 pm   #1
dalekmoore2007
Pentode

Default The Cyclops

i am working on a vidicon camera the idea is to make it also multi system same as the PMT camera and my Thylacine monitor .
http://www.taswegian.com/NBTV/forum/...hp?f=15&t=2564
Old 11th Jun 2018, 11:43 am   #2
dalekmoore2007
Pentode

Default Re: The Cyclops

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QdIi2ijr28

Had a problems for a few weeks on the head amp but ended up using Late Peter Yanczer's pmt camera preamp for the vidicon worked fine ,
a work in progress getting there .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN9751.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	164396  
Old 13th Jun 2018, 5:24 pm   #3
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalekmoore2007 View Post
Had a problems for a few weeks on the head amp but ended up using Late Peter Yanczer's pmt camera preamp for the vidicon worked fine ,
a work in progress getting there .
Hey, I feel that you are doing absolutely technically amazing work and projects, and I do follow your links and think your Thylacine monitor is ingenious work - but...

there's something about your posts that doesn't quite invite people to get involved.

So, like in this case, you're announcing a circuit for a video pre-amp to fix a problem, only there's nothing to anchor that to - no-one knows there was a problem in the first place., or the significance of that problem to you.

Also, there are tighter and tighter circles on here that are purely interested in or versed in video circuits - I for example have no idea who Pete Lanczer was - and if you want to widen up the audience, it's worth stating the relevance of the problem in more general electronics or historic terms.

Could you maybe start something in Homebrew Projects, only put a nice, clear bit of narrative up there with it, so that a thread can develop and keep going?

Even on a technical forum like this, people usually respond more to the personal story that is about the person doing the fixing, than the object behind the person.
So what challenges there are or have been to overcome, what frustrations arise, what inventiveness, ingenuity, patience, etc are displayed in the process - all these things are what get our interest going more than about the thing itself, however amazing it is.

That's just my sense of how most people respond and I think your work deserves to have more response!
Old 15th Jun 2018, 11:39 am   #4
dalekmoore2007
Pentode

Quote:
Hey, I feel that you are doing absolutely technically amazing work and projects, and I do follow your links and think your Thylacine monitor is ingenious work - but...
Hi there thanks every thing is a work in progress ,different circuit ideas that i know that work and pretty much working out how to tack them together sort of how i work .

Quote:
there's something about your posts that doesn't quite invite people to get involved.
Yes i can understand that ,i tend to use the NBTV forum where my main interest is so link it to where i have explained the work more .

Quote:
So, like in this case, you're announcing a circuit for a video pre-amp to fix a problem, only there's nothing to anchor that to - no-one knows there was a problem in the first place., or the significance of that problem to you.
I should of linked that to a posting where i was having problems with the preamp ...i made a few of them and they seemed to work but not on the camera ,what i did and should of done was feed it with signal generator white noise and view the results out the others distorted the signals and dropped off at 10 khz so thats what was up ...needed a procedure to test them correctly .

Quote:
Also, there are tighter and tighter circles on here that are purely interested in or versed in video circuits - I for example have no idea who Pete Lanczer was - and if you want to widen up the audience, it's worth stating the relevance of the problem in more general electronics or historic terms.
Peter Y was a great NBTVer even sold mirror screws drums disks and such pretty much made most types of mechanical televisions .

Quote:
Could you maybe start something in Homebrew Projects, only put a nice, clear bit of narrative up there with it, so that a thread can develop and keep going?
i know here most people are interested in the higher 405 line up tv systems reason i don't go into to much detail ,mainly post here for the odd person that may be interested in the lower television rates a few links here and there to get you there .
Have to go to the NBTV forum forum for this .
https://www.taswegian.com/NBTV/forum...2+drum+monitor

Quote:
Even on a technical forum like this, people usually respond more to the personal story that is about the person doing the fixing, than the object behind the person.
So what challenges there are or have been to overcome, what frustrations arise, what inventiveness, ingenuity, patience, etc are displayed in the process - all these things are what get our interest going more than about the thing itself, however amazing it is.
Well i do do that and get that on the other forum ,here it i understand it is hard to give advice and help when its something like no ones heard of or done like my mechanical glow drum Slow scan television all i can do is show point you to whats done if interested have a look and ask how its done if you wish .
https://www.taswegian.com/NBTV/forum...hp?f=23&t=1318

Quote:
That's just my sense of how most people respond and I think your work deserves to have more response!
[/QUOTE]

No worries good advice too ,i just like to work on the vintage idea of television old school working around what existed and what was missed out on ,i did a lot of mechanical television projects but of late working on the electronic side of it as here with the cyclops vidicon ,the image tube is a device that i have failed on a few times and i now know it was pretty much the preamplifier that kicked in in he bum the other times i tried .
Cameras are very hard made a few Mechanical low def tv cameras in the past they were fun . this Vidicon is the first i have got an image out of an image tube apart from a PMT .https://www.taswegian.com/NBTV/forum/viewforum.php?f=20
Thanks for the reply Harry

Last edited by dalekmoore2007; 15th Jun 2018 at 11:52 am.
Old 15th Jun 2018, 4:41 pm   #5
Panrock
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalekmoore2007 View Post
Cameras are very hard made a few Mechanical low def tv cameras in the past they were fun . this Vidicon is the first i have got an image out of an image tube apart from a PMT .https://www.taswegian.com/NBTV/forum/viewforum.php?f=20
Thanks for the reply Harry
Broadening this discussion slightly, here are pictures of two colour NBTV cameras I once made. Though these pictures are not very informative (I admit),

The first one, seen on the tripod, used a pierced gramophone record as the scanning disc and was 'two-colour' with a club photocell for the red end and a phomultiplier for the blue. At the receiver, there was a pot mixing the red and blue channels, to produce a sort of artificial 'green'. This worked a bit like a tint control and could give surprisingly convincing results.

The other one shown here: the 'big box', gave full colour RGB pictures. This used a laser-cut stainless steel scanning disc and three photomultipliers as pick-up tubes, including a special one which was red sensitive, having been very kindly supplied by Sean Williams (a poster on this board). I think it was Brian Summers who supplied the dichroic splitter block - also very kind. Note the odd-looking 'test card' below.

Yes, as Harry says, colour cameras are hard to do with mechanical NBTV, mainly because when you try to mix the coloured light channels evenly - this reduces still further the dire sensitivity obtained when using a Nipkow Disc.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Colour Camera.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	164648   Click image for larger version

Name:	camera.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	164649  
Old 16th Jun 2018, 9:46 am   #6
dalekmoore2007
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panrock View Post

Yes, as Harry says, colour cameras are hard to do with mechanical NBTV, mainly because when you try to mix the coloured light channels evenly - this reduces still further the dire sensitivity obtained when using a Nipkow Disc.
Steve
Very inspirational for me Steve made these way before i even had a thought of making a camera or knew how to try and make one and you did it all in colour .
I love the PMT tube as a device got a lot of ideas for my cameras from your build .
Funny at the moment my PMT nipkow camera pretty much could out do the cyclops Vidicon at 32 line the mechanical ones line rate is stuck on 32 line unless i make higher line rate nipkow disk .
http://www.taswegian.com/NBTV/forum/...lit=pmt+camera
some mechanical camera results animated gifs
http://www.taswegian.com/NBTV/forum/...mera&start=135
The cyclops to days video recordings
http://www.taswegian.com/NBTV/forum/...p=23614#p23614
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0268.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	164694   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0269.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	164695  

Last edited by dalekmoore2007; 16th Jun 2018 at 10:06 am.
Old 24th Jul 2018, 6:54 am   #7
dalekmoore2007
Pentode

End results of the Cyclops ....has been put away now for a while ..i found at the end the deflection yoke was too large or long for the Vidicon causing a doubling over of the scan .
It was a good teaching tool for me as i always wanted to get one of these things to work .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRjC9Wh4-m4&t=67s

Last edited by dalekmoore2007; 24th Jul 2018 at 6:59 am.
Closed Thread