UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Aug 2010, 11:20 am   #1
Colourstar
Octode

Default 1950s Morphy Richards iron

Here's a nice little find from this morning's junk market in Nottingham. As you can see this iron is all complete with instructions, guarantee card (December 1958), and even the card from the mains cable showing the wiring code. The price on the box is 39/6 plus purchase tax. The MK plug is absolutely pristine with bright untarnished pins.

The instruction leaflet informs us that we are entering 'a new era of ironing pleasure'. I must remember that next time I have a pile of shirts to do.

I don't know about 39/6, but I reckon it was worth the £3 I paid. I bet it works too. It will go nicely with the primrose yellow example I already have.

Steve J
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0905.jpg
Views:	1029
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	39345  
Old 14th Aug 2010, 12:05 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: 1950s Morphy Richards iron

I have an orange one almost the same as that in regular use. It probably dates from about 1980. Model No. 40150 to BS 800 of 1977. There is no lamp though, the hole for it in the moulding hasn't been drilled.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 14th Aug 2010, 3:14 pm   #3
Peter.N.
Dekatron

I remember them well, we had a pyrometer for setting the temperature after element replacement, and the special tool for undoing the nut round the control knob spindle. If I had to change the flex on one I had to go and ask which wire was red, as the green one looked the same colour to me.

Peter
Old 14th Aug 2010, 4:25 pm   #4
Paul Stenning
Administrator

My mum had one like that in regular use for many many years. I do remember that the cable was replaced at least twice. I don't know if it's still in a cupboard there somewhere but it's not in use now.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 14th Aug 2010, 4:46 pm   #5

I've got a very rough one I use as a hot plate for SMT soldering, it soldiers on. Last week I went to buy some 'Iron Flex' for something else, none available, they throw them away now!

Old 14th Aug 2010, 10:11 pm   #6
mickash
Hexode

I repaired many of these right up until the late 1980s. It was common to replace elements, thermostats, mains cables and even indicator lamps, we stocked most spares for them.
The element was sandwiched between the soleplate, an asbestos pad and the upper soleplate. The element and asbestos pad were usually stuck firmly to the metal plates and would need to be scraped off and then the dust brushed away. I was much younger then, of course, and not really aware of the dangers of asbestos. The thought of all those asbestos fibres worries me now!
Anyway, they are a nice design and must have been in production for about 25 years, has anybody got any information on this?

Michael.
Old 14th Aug 2010, 11:20 pm   #7
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

I believe that that model was introduced in the 50's. and displayed at the Ideal Home exhibition, where my mother bought one. From memory, around '55-'57.

It was still going in the early 80's when they introduced some variants, giving sole plates that were chrome plated, aluminium or stainless steel, at different prices. At that time I occasionally helped a pal who owned a shop, and sometimes got "volunteered" to mend irons et al.
Old 17th Aug 2010, 10:26 pm   #8
M0ALK Richard
Tetrode

Still going strong in this household.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mr irons.jpg
Views:	693
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	39526  
Old 18th Aug 2010, 9:35 am   #9
newlite4
Octode

I have the pre-war version of this iron, the PA75 which was released in 1936 with a porcelain cowl, a later version, the CA75 was released in 1938 with a chrome cowl. A forty five year production run is pretty good, a tribute to good design.
Neil
Old 19th Aug 2010, 9:11 am   #10
Peter.N.
Dekatron

The Morphy Richards factory used to be not far from us and you could obtain all the spares for all their products, a far cry from today.

Peter
Old 19th Aug 2010, 9:23 am   #11
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

I found a site the other day from where you can obtain replacement soleplates for this model. Thermostats were also listed but, apparently, are now discontinued.

I suppose it's a wonder soleplates, if nothing else, can still be obtained given the age of these irons.

I'll link to the site in a minute, once I've found it again, as it may prove handy for members.

Here it is, scroll down for irons.
Old 19th Aug 2010, 6:54 pm   #12
anthony lawrenc
Retired Dormant Member

I have a yellow one of these it was my mum's. I remember my dad taking it to work in about 1968 to have the flex replaced. It came back with new flex that was at least three times thicker than the original. God only knows what it was originally intended for.

The iron could not be stood upright on the ironing board because the weight of the flex would pull it over. It now has a new length of the correct flex and it lives in its box under the stairs with its Morphy Richards mates; a toaster and a hairdryer all from 1959.
Old 20th Aug 2010, 11:07 am   #13
Peter.N.
Dekatron

I also have the hairdryer, nice quite one with an induction motor - doesn't interfere with anything.
Closed Thread