UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Jan 2010, 5:42 pm   #1
wheresthetubes
Retired Dormant Member

Default Handheld Transceiver greatest range?

Hello, I recently spoke with someone who said that his Realistic TRC-209 probably had the greatest range of any hand-held transceiver he's ever used, purely based on its 5 watts output. I think this was one of the old am sets. Reckons he can get about 7 miles to another handheld. This got me thinking about range/distance possible to ther handsets. I was surprised after a cursory check on the web that about a 7 miles range from portable to portable is about the best one can achieve, even with high-end models.

My question is, was it possible to achieve greater distances with the older type handheld transceivers before legislation kicked in sometime in the 70's-80's (handheld to handheld). It seems that one can buy these secondhand 20-30 year old transceivers for a snip of the price one has to pay for a modern equivilent, yet there is little difference in performance (output power/reception).
Old 1st Jan 2010, 5:52 pm   #2
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Default Re: Handheld Transceiver greatest range?

Of course if you were a licensed amateur, I can remember when Schools contacted the Mir space station on a handheld, this would have only been about 5 watts......

From a CB point of view,

Handheld range will always be limited - mainly due to the innefficient antennas fitted to the sets - not many people would want an antenna around 9 ft long on a plastic brick....

It is true that FM stuff seemed to have a shorter range - this is due to the way the system works - you need a fair bit of recieved carrier to detect FM, whereas AM the slightest sniff of a carrier is enough - the MK1 Ear is suprisingly good at weak signal stuff...

Sean
Old 1st Jan 2010, 6:50 pm   #3
Steve_P
Dekatron

It depends on a lot of factors. Atmospheric conditions, buildings in the way, curvature of the earth, AM or FM, location.

I got from Winter Hill to Holme Moss on a 5 Watt Maxon portable often, and from Moss to Pontop Pike on a good day. This was on FM. 169 Mhz or thereabouts.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 1st Jan 2010, 8:06 pm   #4
MichaelR
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheresthetubes View Post
My question is, was it possible to achieve greater distances with the older type handheld transceivers before legislation kicked in sometime in the 70's-80's (handheld to handheld). It seems that one can buy these secondhand 20-30 year old transceivers for a snip of the price one has to pay for a modern equivilent, yet there is little difference in performance (output power/reception).

They are not pricy because they are illegal. A lot of these sets were imported from the US who have different regulations.

Mike
Old 1st Jan 2010, 9:25 pm   #5
Station X

This thread has been closed as it breaches forum rules.

Quote:
1.Equipment or information that cannot be used legally in the UK by the general public or a licenced radio amateur must not be bought, sold or discussed in these forums. The moderators will delete any posts relating to equipment or information falling into this category. Examples include (but are not limited to) broadcast transmitters, unapproved CB equipment, mobile phone jammers, GPS jammers, speed camera jammers, bugging equpment, circumvention of copy protection systems and pirated/cracked software.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread