UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Nov 2009, 8:25 pm   #1
sheriff076
Triode

Default 75 ohm antenna?

Hi
I've got a vintage Bush VHF54 radio which has an 80ohm balanced input for FM.

Can anyone suggest an antenna design i could make using some 75ohm balanced feeder I've got?

Thanks,
Old 30th Nov 2009, 12:13 am   #2
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: 75 ohm antenna?

Just split the feeder down about 2'6", stick a tyrap or bit of tape to stop it splitting further and connect the other end to the radio. Instant dipole. Any mismatch between 80ohm and the dipole won't be worth worrying about.
Old 1st Dec 2009, 2:19 pm   #3
sheriff076
Triode

Thanks for the reply, that's simple enough for me to do but the cable is not as i thought

I've just dug out the reel and its 300 ohm not 75 ohm. So apart from ordering a couple of meters of the 75 ohm i thought i had can anyone suggest an aerial idea for a 300 ohm fed to 75 ohm balanced input solution?

Is it worth worrying about, the radio is in the corner of the lounge and FM is rubbish there so i wanted a solution for an indoors which was decent.

Regards
Old 1st Dec 2009, 2:43 pm   #4
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Post Re: 75 ohm antenna?

While you could make a 1:4 ratio balum transformer or is it 4:1, chances are just doing the same and stripping out about two foot six inches in each direction and trying it in various positions will work.

g
Old 1st Dec 2009, 3:12 pm   #5
Ian - G4JQT
Octode

You need a folded dipole if the feed point and feeder are 300 ohm.

See http://amateur-radio-wiki.net/index.php?title=Dipole

Regards,

Ian
Old 1st Dec 2009, 3:51 pm   #6
kalee20
Dekatron

If the radio is designed for 80 ohm, then a normal dipole will work. Strictly, the intervening feeder being 300 ohm is wrong, but as you have the cable you might as well try it.

You can make a folded dipole which will then suit the feeder exactly, but won't match the radio. But again, you might as well try it! Post the results here, let us all know!
Old 1st Dec 2009, 6:27 pm   #7
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: 75 ohm antenna?

Just an observation following Kalee20's comment.

I note that you will be situating the aerial in a corner of the lounge, downstairs. On that basis, the walls of the room, the ceiling and other close objects are likely to have a far more detrimental effect on received signal strength (and directivity - not that there is a great deal of this with a dipole, anyway) than a mis-match in any of the scenarios outlined above. Nevertheless, I would expect some improvement over what you have been using - and it is easy to construct and erect (and in the warm, too! ).
So - give it a whirl - but don't expect a dramatic improvement.

And yes - please let us know how it all works out.

Al. / Skywave.
Old 1st Dec 2009, 6:34 pm   #8
Oldtimer74
Rest in Peace

I would certainly make a folded dipole out of the 300 ohm ribbon you have. Simply cut to the length already suggested. Then connect together the two wires at each end. Split one wire in the middle and attach a short length of the cable to this and connect to the set. Dont worry about the mismatch, on such a short length you wouldn`t be able to measure the difference.
Pat G3IKR
Old 1st Dec 2009, 11:17 pm   #9
Herald1360
Dekatron

If you've got a local 99p shop or similar, it may be worth a look. I just bought an indoor antenna consisting of a plastic base with two telescopic aerials connected to a length of coax terminated in a Belling Lee (ish) coax plug. No idea how they do it but couldn't resist it (or the similarly priced pack of assorted cable cleats). Didn't find what I was looking for, though

In the same vein as others, ordinary twisted flex or even the more modern two side by side in a sheath isn't a bad approximation to 75 ohm feeder. Then same as before..... or two bits of stiff wire (coathanger, perhaps) in a choc block.

Have you tried just connecting it to the TV aerial- it won't be a match or anything, but it's at least high up and outside!

Chris

Last edited by Herald1360; 1st Dec 2009 at 11:22 pm.
Old 3rd Dec 2009, 2:15 pm   #10
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

Ordinary thick (79-strand) loudspeaker cable is about 80 ohms impedance as a transmission line. Would be OK for short runs at Band 2 FM. No indoor antenna is going to work particularly well, or be a good match to the cable, so just mess about until you find something that works. Each side of the dipole should be about 75cm long, or maybe 70cm is you prefer the local and independent stations in the upper part of the band.
Closed Thread