UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Jan 2019, 9:42 am   #1
Martin G7MRV
Heptode

Default Clansman PRC-344 repair

This may be of use to someone,

Ive just resurrected from dead a Clansman PRC-344 UHF AM manpack. The issue was with the P.S. Stabilizer modules (regulators), module 6, the 6v regulator was dead short. After repairing it, the 12v regulator module blew!

The cause was the 22uF 35v tantalum capacitor across the supply rail. In the 6v module this was dead short. In the 12v module it was so leaky that the inrush current destroyed the ferrite bead choke on the supply rail!

I replaced these caps with modern 22uF 50v electrolytics, and rewound the choke (14t). I also replaced the same cap in the 3v module as a precaution.

Hope this helps someone,

As an extra, be aware that what looks like a small thick fuse, or varistor, in fuse holder contacts, is in fact a big schottky diode! This is in the supply direct from the battery so make sure you put it back in the right way around!

Martin G7MRV

My Blog - http://g7mrv.blogspot.com
Closed Thread