UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Nov 2016, 10:49 am   #1
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Default R1147 Beacon Receiver

Does anyone have any information on the R1147B? Specifically the B variant.

This was used as a Beacon Receiver in WW2 Fleet Air Arm aircraft such as the Seafire.

I was asked yesterday whether I could advise on the valve-lineup for the B variant, and said I would check the manual and/or look inside one as I have a couple of them.

However on looking at the copies of the manual I have (electronic and paper), they are all of SD.0230 and apply to the R1147 with no A or B suffix, using acorn valves.

This does raise a subsidiary question – is the R1147A (also acorn valves) identical to the R1147, or were there in fact three versions?

The R1147B uses a number of B9G-based valves and three octals, so is definitely a different version.

So, plan B, look inside the examples I have. It’s all very crammed in there, and the valve numbers aren’t visible. I also concluded after a bit of fiddling that removing the valves was only going to result in damage due to the lack of access and the valves being well-gripped by their holders.

So not much progress. Does anyone have any info on the B version, and, in passing, is there any difference between the R1147 and the R1147A?

Many thanks,

Andy
Old 11th Nov 2016, 10:25 am   #2
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Default Re: R1147 Beacon Receiver

A disappointing lack of response to this!

I have received information on the valve line-up via the VMARS email group, so for the benefit of anyone else interested, it is -

Top rear (V3, V4): 2 x VR91/EF50
Front left (V5): VR55/EBC33
Front middle (V6): VR56/EF36
Front right (V7): VR56/EF36
Bottom rear (V1): VR136/EF54
Bottom front (V2): VR137/EC52

Andy
Closed Thread