UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Oct 2016, 12:34 pm   #1
Oggy7474
Retired Dormant Member

Default Trio 9R–59DS. Value?

Firstly, hello everyone. I'm hoping that someone maybe able to help me out.

I've just been sorting through some of the odds and sods left to me by my late Father, and I've come across a boxed Trio 9R–59DS receiver.

I'll be the first to admit that I have zero knowlege of this field. So I was wondering, does it have any value and where would be the best place to try and sell it?

Thanks in advance, Mark.
Old 30th Oct 2016, 12:42 pm   #2
Cobaltblue

Default Re: Trio 9R–59DS. Value?

Hi Oggy

First sorry to hear about your Father.

A good way of getting the idea of value on an item like this is to look at completed listings on Ebay.

That's also a pretty good place to sell but don't forget you can offer on this forum at a fixed price, or there are other Outlets such as Gumtree or even Facebook.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_fr...p2045573.m1684

You need to read the descriptions to get an idea why the prices vary so widely.

Good luck

Cheers

Mike T

Last edited by Cobaltblue; 30th Oct 2016 at 12:44 pm. Reason: Added other possibilities
Old 30th Oct 2016, 12:49 pm   #3
Oggy7474
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for that Mike. Didn't know you could search for items sold. Well, you learn something neww everyday. Thanks one again
Old 30th Oct 2016, 3:44 pm   #4
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

One thing to remember on auction sites is that 2 identical items dont all ways fetch the same or even similar prices.
Old 30th Oct 2016, 5:46 pm   #5
David G4EBT
Dekatron

This was a popular short wave listeners' radio of the early 1970s and sold well in the UK. I owned one from 1971 - '75, at which time I became licensed so bought a transceiver. Prices have hardened this last year or two, and the prices attained are largely influenced not so much by the 'fickleness' of auction sites, but by the condition, both electrically and cosmetically. In the mid 1970s there was a series of magazine articles on how to improve the performance of the set. Done competently, these modification did indeed provide a worthwhile improvement, but unfortunately, many sets fell victim to inept and inexperienced bodgers and have been 'got at' which seriously impacts on the price and desirability.

The set doesn't have a built-in loudspeaker, though a neat matching speaker was available as an accessory, and were Trio headphones. It's commonplace for a speaker to be incompetently bodged in beneath the lid of the set with screw holes in the top, and that's sometimes a clue that other bodges may have been carried out. Sets that have fallen victim to such molestation will typically be in the range £40 - £50 on a good day as a restoration project.

However, given that your set is boxed, and hopefully unmolested and in good cosmetic condition, it should attain a price at the top end - anything from £80 - £150. It may be worth checking if you have the matching 'SP5D' speaker - they're quite rare and that would put the value of the set at a higher level. You can see a picture of the matching speaker here:

http://website.lineone.net/~m0dzo/trio_9r59ds__sp5d.htm

If you did decide to list it on an auction site, you can of course list it at a 'buy it now' price, and if it doesn't sell, relist it at a lower price.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and to my eyes, even after more than four decades since it came onto the market, this is still an attractive radio, not out of place in a living room.

Hope that helps a bit Mark.
Old 30th Oct 2016, 8:32 pm   #6
TrevorG3VLF
Rest in Peace

I once saw a 9R-59DS boiling gently. There is a switch to change from 115V to 230V and this one was running on 240V on the 115V setting. It still seemed to work when switched to the correct setting. I permanently wired it for 230V input
Old 6th Nov 2016, 7:48 am   #7
techiesteve
Pentode

I bought a 9R-59DS via eBay around 4 - 5 years ago, as I used to own one when it was a current product. I never did mod mine, I got used to the frequency drift. I paid on collection, checking it first. It was in good nick and unmolested, no nicotine stains or smell, cost around £40.00 then. This time I plan to implement the mods in SWM, but still haven't got around to it.