UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Nov 2016, 1:11 am   #21
Sparky67
Heptode

Default Re: Please Id this PYE equipment (Help)

The large control unit in the last image in post #10 (177.jpg) is indeed used with the Pye Ranger PTC2202 or 2207 radio.
Old 16th Nov 2016, 8:19 am   #22
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Re: Please Id this PYE equipment (Help)

...and for a further 10 points, can anyone ID the Ranger model which had a pair of EL90's in the modulator (and 100 points if you have the circuit diagram ).
These must have been relatively early models as the later ones had transistor mods.

In ~50 years, I don't think that any piece of radio gear has ever given me the pleasure that I had from my AM10 Cambridge.

B
Old 16th Nov 2016, 4:49 pm   #23
Nymrod121
Nonode

Default Re: Please ID this PYE equipment (Help)

The enamelled badge pictured in post #20 would look rather swish on the inside of the lid fitted to a well-known type of record player ...

Best wishes
Guy

Last edited by Nymrod121; 16th Nov 2016 at 4:51 pm. Reason: add post ref
Old 17th Nov 2016, 1:34 am   #24
Sparky67
Heptode

Quote:
(Bazz4CQJ)...and for a further 10 points, can anyone ID the Ranger model which had a pair of EL90's in the modulator
According to the Pye Telecom History website the PTC2001/2 used EL90s in the modulator...

http://www.pyetelecomhistory.org/index.html

Quote:
(Bazz4CQJ)...In ~50 years, I don't think that any piece of radio gear has ever given me the pleasure that I had from my AM10 Cambridge.
Out of all the Pye eqpt which I have worked on, from the PTC series up to the 4000 series (via RLA and F300s), I'm leaning towards the various Vanguards... Not forgetting their unmistakable scent when you undid the four Zeus fasteners and lifted the cover off...!!
Old 17th Nov 2016, 2:44 am   #25
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky67 View Post
Out of all the Pye eqpt which I have worked on, from the PTC series up to the 4000 series (via RLA and F300s), I'm leaning towards the various Vanguards
I had a Vanguard too. Converted it so that it became "front panel" operated and installed a tunable LO for the receiver, though it was not very sensitive.

RE the PTC2000's, lots of those got scrapped, but the mod transformers (which looked a bit like a small tin-can) were prized as components for homebrew 2m rigs and could be picked up rallies for £1. I think I still have 2 or 3 of them.

B
Closed Thread