UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Dec 2016, 8:42 am   #1
nemo1956
Triode

Default TS 830S with very low output

I have one of these a long time ago and loved it.
Now I have a different one that I bought from E-bay some 12 months ago but it had a fault on it. No output.
I found that problem and sort it out but the output was only 80 watts.
I change both the PA valves and the driver valve but now when I switch it on I only get 5 watts when cold and after 20 minuets of running the heaters I get 20 watts. so I left it to run for another hour then I get 80 watts again.
I replace the driver valve with the old one with no difference.

I cant seem to locate this fault at all. I wont to get it fully working by the end of the winter so I can again enjoy my 830 with a pint of beer in the summer and all those rag those.

Paul. G0MIH/HS0ZLQ
Old 12th Dec 2016, 11:18 pm   #2
G3PIJpeter
Hexode

Default Re: TS 830S with very low output

Paul -

I suggest you download the operator's (instruction) manual and the service manual from the webpage at http://www.wb4hfn.com/KENWOOD/Kenwood-Manuals.htm

You should check the voltages on the 6146 cathode, screen and control grids on both receive and transmit. These voltages are listed on the circuit diagram in the service manual. I suspect there is something wrong with the resistors in the screen grid supply or in the cathode circuit. Bear in mind that there is 850 volts on the anodes and that bodily contact with this is likely to kill you - take the usual sensible precautions.

Finally, there is an excellent Kenwood 'Hybrids' group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...0_530_830/info - I found a huge source of experience and advice here that helped to get my TS830S going a few weeks ago.

Best wishes - Peter G3PIJ
Old 12th Dec 2016, 11:43 pm   #3
G3PIJpeter
Hexode

I have copied the PA circuit and voltages from the high-res circuit diagram. Not sure how well the voltages will show up on this thumbnail. Suggest you also search for the high-res diagram - available separately from the manuals.
- Peter G3PIJ
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TS830 PA voltages.pdf (633.8 KB, 192 views)
Old 12th Dec 2016, 11:50 pm   #4
Radio Wrangler

Check DC first, but there are also things which don't show up on DC voltages that can reduce output power like bad screen decouplers and bad screen resistors.... also the decoupler at the end of the HT feed choke.

You have checked that ALC isn't operating when it shouldn't?

David