UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 10th Mar 2010, 3:04 pm   #1
brenellic2000
Octode

Default PYE telephone answering machine - whose deck?

Does anyone know about the PYE telephone answering machine of the mid-late 1950s?

There appears to have been two models made; the one I am particularly interested in is circa 1958, supposedly designed and developed for PYE by Gate Electronics (aka R F Electronic Developments of London). It is used a tape recorder drive, possibly made for Gate by Brenell.

If anyone has such a PYE unit, can they me about the tape deck, and can they also photograph it for me.

Many thanks
Barry
Old 10th Mar 2010, 4:20 pm   #2
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Default Re: PYE telephone answering machine - whose deck?

I don't have one of these but I have seen one. From memory, and it was a long time ago, the deck looked very "Brenellesque."

We had one at a television shop where I worked many years ago. I don't recall ever seeing it used.
Old 11th Mar 2010, 12:23 pm   #3
brenellic2000
Octode

Thanks Brian,

When you say 'Brenellesque', do you mean the bog standard Mk.2, Mk.4, Mk.5 deck type? At the time, Gate were developing the electronics for the Brenell 3-Star - a unique single motor deck, piano key deck, quite unlike any other Brenell (Brenelltape.co.uk). I understand the 3-Star may have been a Gate design, and wondered whether it was connected with the answering machine contract.

Barry
Old 11th Mar 2010, 1:08 pm   #4
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

As far as I recall it wasn't a piano key type and resembled the Mk2.

I remember thinking it was overkill for a machine to answer the 'phone. I may have had designs on acquiring it at some point for a better use but I was given an enormous Vortexion instead. Bear in mind that this was a very long time ago so my memory is not to be relied on too much.
Old 12th Mar 2010, 2:15 pm   #5
brenellic2000
Octode

Thanks Brian,

The only ex-Gate contact I have couldn't remember - it was a just another day's work - but does recall having no trouble with the Brenells they used, so I guess it would have been the standard deck rather than the 3-Star.

Now then, what size spools (ie 7" or 4" in comparison) did it use and can you describe it any way - did it look like a tape recorder or was it totally enclosed?

Barry
Old 4th Sep 2014, 10:24 am   #6
LukasRedd
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Brenellic2000!

Seems like I'm a bit late to the game.

I have one of your Gate Electronics answering machines. It's been in my hands for the last two years, I purchased it from the estate of an broadcast technician that lived half way between Melbourne and Adelaide.

It's in perfect condition cosmetically, and does everything but play. Which is interesting. I have a feeling it has something to do with the fact that as an answering machine, it was triggered by a call in. How this trigger works, I'm not sure. I intend to use it as a tape echo for my recording studio, which is an all analogue affair. As I haven't been able to play it properly, I'm not sure of the speed. I hope for it to be 15 ips, but I have a feeling due to the nature of this machine it would most likely be 7.5 or even slower.

Any help would be very much appreciated, and if you'd like any questions answered about this machine please let me know. I'll send you a PM as well.

Here is the link my studio partner posted a while ago about it, there some pictures attached.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-mu...hine-info.html
Old 4th Sep 2014, 2:58 pm   #7
brenellic2000
Octode

I've been directed to this post by a PM from Lukas! Essentially until I see the deck's nether regions I can't really say much more but it looks prima facie likely to be the Brenell deck. Watch this space!
Old 4th Sep 2014, 3:04 pm   #8
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

That is a BIG answering machine!!
Old 5th Sep 2014, 2:30 pm   #9
brenellic2000
Octode

Pye had a 'big' column type answering machine circa 1955 which was superseded circa 1958 possibly by this Gate unit. The Pye telephone musuem/archivists know nothing about it... see also No.5 above! One day....
Closed Thread