UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 28th Aug 2014, 8:10 am   #1
Ryan_1993
Hexode

Default 741 Wall phone short circuit issue?

Hello all I have just noticed a problem with my Ivory 741 wall phone. It has been working fine since I converted it on sunday, but last night I lifted the receiver and it was extremely quiet, dial tone barley audible. I have a double phone socket splitter and also have connected a bakelite 232 telephone. Out of curiosity I picked that up and the dial tone sound level is normal.

i have tried the master socket downstairs with all other phones disconnected the same results

I have swapped speakers off several other 746 models I have, same results. I did manage to get it to work briefly at normal sound level when taking the cover off the phone and jiggled the wires around, however, as soon as I put the case on and hung it back on the wall the volume level went quiet again. My guess is something could be shorting slightly?

Out of curiosity though is the printed circuit board in the desktop 746 the same as in the 741? as I would just do a straight swap over. I got a ivory 746 the same day as getting this.

I hope someone can help

Thanks Ryan
Old 28th Aug 2014, 8:28 am   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: 741 Wall phone short circuit issue?

I'm sure you're right, but could also be a crack in the PCB, a dry joint on one of its connections, one of the wires adrift on the ASTIC (transformer), the board being shorted out by the metal base and so on.

Another thing to check is that the dial contacts that short-out the receiver (earpiece) are OPEN when the dial is at rest.

And yes, you could swap the PCB to narrow down the fault if you wished.

Nick.
Old 28th Aug 2014, 6:16 pm   #3
Ryan_1993
Hexode

bit of an update

I swapped out the circuit board and all seems fine, no idea what the issue was, but I guess something wasn't quite right with the board that was in it originally.
Old 28th Aug 2014, 7:36 pm   #4
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Have you tried reassembling the 746 with the circuit from the 741? If so, has the fault now migrated to the 746?

If the answer is yes, then there is indeed a fault in the circuit board. Tracking it down wil be the next challenge.

If no, there was presumably a dodgy connection that has been been cured during the swap over by removing one set of connections and making the other.