UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Dec 2008, 5:30 pm   #1
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Default Perdio New Continental

An odd thing, this: is it just me or is the design a tad misguided? Take 1) a portable radio from the Town and Country series, really quite good sets in performance terms but big and plasticky. Produce 2) a wooden sleeve to fit around it, with apertures as required, brass trim and padded leathercloth covering, then insert 1) into 2) and you have a contender in the luxury transistor portable market I doubt Hacker felt too threatened.

That big hole in the cabinet side does make it rather obvious that what we have here is a plastic radio in disguise. Still, it works very nicely indeed, and I suppose all that wood must help the sound quality a little. Is anybody else harbouring one? I've another here too, with the more usual grey Town and Country plastic case in a two-tone grey outer with chrome trim, at least as scruffy as this. The rexine here is of a fairly poor grade, but some light tan shoe polish may bring it up a bit. If there is another out there I'd be grateful to know just what ought to be around the DIN socket in the last photo - I imagine quite a plain metal ring of the appropriate finish, but whatever it was it's missing from both my sets.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2008_12200077A.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	21927   Click image for larger version

Name:	2008_12200078A.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	21928   Click image for larger version

Name:	2008_12200167A.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	21929   Click image for larger version

Name:	2008_12200081A.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	21930   Click image for larger version

Name:	2008_12200082A.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	21931  

Old 20th Dec 2008, 6:49 pm   #2
Colin
Heptode

Default Re: Perdio New Continental

Hi Paul, that's interesting. I wonder if the wooden sleeve could be purchased seperately as an aftermarket 'upgrade'. It's not too different from buying a protective cover for an iPod.
Old 20th Dec 2008, 7:31 pm   #3
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Hi Colin,

I'd be very surprised if there were any demand! When I first saw one of these I wasn't readily convinced it was anything but a one-off, but Rod Burman mentioned it as the 'New Continental' in a Radio Bygones article on the Town and Country series, and the cabinet floor bears the stamp of the Perdio Cabinet Works (!)

Any retro-fitting would have been a job for a dealer rather than the set's owner, as the original handle has to be taken off, the telescopic aerial temporarily removed and the chassis at the very least loosened to get the set into the outer cabinet, and three holes drilled in the sides of the plastic case for screws to keep it there.

Paul

Last edited by Paul_RK; 20th Dec 2008 at 7:59 pm.
Old 21st Dec 2008, 1:09 pm   #4
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

This model is certainly rare but does turn up from time to time, usually very dilapidated.

The method of construction was weird; one could assume it was a relatively cheap way of producing what Perdio had the audacity to pass-off as a new model.

The problem was retail price. At the time, 1963, you could buy something much better like a Hacker or a Roberts for roughly the same price - give or take a couple of quid. That rather kills the theory of cheapness of production .

I can't remember for certain what fitted over the DIN socket. Logic says it'd be a brassy thing similar to that around the big cutout in one end of the cabinet.
Old 21st Dec 2008, 1:27 pm   #5
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Hello Darren,
Quote:
Originally Posted by darren-uk View Post
The problem was retail price.
It certainly was! From 'Radio! Radio!', the Town and Country had launched in 1962 at 19 guineas, and the New Continental came along the following year at 24 guineas - the difference seems a lot to pay back then for a few bits of plywood, some (cheap) leathercloth and the brass trim. Compare that with the 1962 Mini-Herald at 17 1/2 guineas, or in '64 the RP30 Herald at 22 guineas - 26 if you wanted the short wave version - and it's hardly surprising Perdio were nearing the end of the road as a manufacturer of large portables.

Paul
Old 21st Dec 2008, 1:49 pm   #6
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Here's the other one, offering trawler band instead of short wave, and badged (and grilled) as a Town and Country making its origin even more obvious, if that's possible.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2008_12210172A.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	21946   Click image for larger version

Name:	2008_12210173A.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	21947  
Closed Thread