UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Feb 2021, 12:19 am   #1
bill knox
Hexode

Default Thurlby Thandor PL330P Power supply

I have one of these PSUs and have used it for several years
When I have used it I have always been confused with the "flashing LEDs" between each part of the current indicator, "I now think I have sussed that out" but I thought it would be a good idea if I could get a copy of the user manual and service manual

If someone has an original copy to sell that would great but a copy would suffice.

My version has 3 toggle switch's along the bottom spaced between the output terminal's, mains on/off, output on/off and local/remote sensing. It appears that there are several versions of this PSU.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Bill
Old 12th Feb 2021, 12:37 am   #2
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Default Re: Thurlby Thandor PL330P Power supply

I just had to look for this having got a PL310, too! The three flashing decimal points mean that the supply is off, and you are able to set the current limit. With the switch to 'on' (so there is voltage at the +/- output) the same display shows actual current.

There's a manual for the PL and PL-P series here.
Old 12th Feb 2021, 2:44 am   #3
bill knox
Hexode

Hi Uncle B

Phew, there is a lot more information in that manual than any others that I have seen on the internet. Yes that is what I found out about the flashing LEDs as well

The only problem is, it is for the later model, I don't suppose that the operation of the PSU would be altered that much for it to be a problem, hopefully anyway.

Thank you for your assistance, I am off to bed now so will have a look at the manual tomorrow.

Bill
Old 12th Feb 2021, 6:06 am   #4
ortek_service
Octode

Yes, that manual's for the rather re-designed smaller replacement model series.

For the original (Brown top / bit later Grey Top) PL-Series ones, when the decimal points are all on it means the output is switched off.
When they are flashing, it means that it is current-limiting - so either there's a fault with the load, or you need to increase the current limit a bit (often need it a bit-higher, to cope with switch-on surges / transient peak currents that it won't display (especially with damping switch set to on)

I do have some printed copies of the original manuals, but it should be on the 'net somewhere (It may even be a download from TTI's website), along with the full service manual.

You also see some re-badged Racal-Dana etc ones of these.

Owen
Old 12th Feb 2021, 9:14 am   #5
ortek_service
Octode

Well it seems that the TTI website only has the latest (Iss.18) manual available - As previously linked to (From webpage at least, it won't let you browse the files area). And these aren't in the Legacy area.

But a quick Google for the model + manual finds this one for the old PL310/320/330: http://www.av.it.pt/medidas/Data/Man...20Iss%2012.pdf

And a service manual here: http://www.chriswilson.tv/PL_Series.pdf

- But not for the Programmable PL-P models (Although these operate similarly and are based on same units, with an extra GPIB/RS232 interface added)

And a datasheet that also covers the P-suffix older Grey-case models:
http://www.testequipmenthq.com/datas...-Datasheet.pdf
Old 12th Feb 2021, 12:06 pm   #6
bill knox
Hexode

Hi Owen

That data sheet looks similar to mine, but looking at the front of my unit it has another switch fitted, used for for "local/remote sensing", my unit also has the GBIB interface installed, I have never used that part, ever.

After getting it out yesterday and brushing off the dust I thought that it had a fault on it with all the LEDs flashing but now know differently.

I stuck a couple of WW resistors across the output and it is working well.

Do TTI release circuit diagrams and layouts for these models?

Thank you for all your input on this, as usual, UK Vintage RRR has come up trumps.

Regards

Bill
Old 12th Feb 2021, 1:18 pm   #7
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Ah, I thought the extra 'P' was significant, but I got it in the wrong place! I have the manual ortek_service linked to as mine is a brown-cased PL310 with a K1 module.

I haven't opened mine up as I've only had it a week, but it did come with a service manual. There's one here that may be of the same vintage as your machine.
Old 13th Feb 2021, 11:22 am   #8
Oldtestgear
Hexode

This service manual is for the early units. No GPIB but the basic circuits are (from memory) the same. I hope this might be of help to someone.

Phil
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Racal 9232.pdf (974.4 KB, 65 views)
Old 13th Feb 2021, 2:06 pm   #9
chriswood1900
Octode

There is a service manual here which seems to cover many variations of the PL series.http://ftb.ko4bb.com/manuals/82.33.1...viceManual.pdf
Closed Thread