UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Jan 2021, 12:08 pm   #1
SoundHunter
Diode

Default Memories from Tape Recordings Clubs

Hi everyone,

I just discovered this fantastic forum on vintage audio equipment. I am mainly a recordist of wildlife / nature / industrial ambiances, and I recently started to do research on the sound hunting movement and all the tape recording clubs that bloomed by the end of the 1950s and during the 1960s.

Looking at older posts, I saw that former members of such clubs are present on this forum. Would anyone be keen to share their memories with me?
The activities of the clubs, what were the recordings made, what were the recording techniques used...
If you have stories to share, or pictures, or recordings dating back from that time, that would be fantastic. I'd like to document this almost forgotten part of the history of field recording, and notably how amateurs and hobbyists contributed to it, with great results and a wealth of ideas.

Thanks!
Jean-Baptiste
Old 8th Jan 2021, 7:12 am   #2
Damien VK3RX
Tetrode

Default Re: Memories from Tape Recordings Clubs

Your post reminded me of something I read in a book recently, “Film Pilot – From James Bond To Hurricane Katrina” by Jerry Grayson AFC.

On one occasion he’d been tasked to film an old steam engine train through the county of Somerset from a helicopter. He was astonished to see how many steam train enthusiasts there were on banks and bridges along the route. He said he took great pains to not go low behind the train and ruin their photographs, and despite this was surprised at how many shook their fists at him.

Returning to his office his answerphone was littered with complaints, including a call from the Civil Aviation Authority who had also received complaints. Talking to the investigator, it appeared that some of the complainants weren’t taking photographs, but instead trying to capture the sound of the age of steam on tape recorders. One recording the investigator heard the sound of the train was masked by the clattering sound of the helicopter.

He said he tried to avoid presenting that problem in the future
Old 8th Jan 2021, 9:53 am   #3
ben
Dekatron

I've often wondered about this too, given the coverage in the 'tape recording' magazines of the era. There were competitions with all kinds of categories where people could submit recordings, too.

In all my years collecting 'found sounds' I still have not come across any tapes that may have been a part of that circle of activity.
Old 8th Jan 2021, 10:35 am   #4
rontech
Heptode

Sincee the early 60's I have been a member of a Film Society associated with a local church. As part of our activities we provided PA, recorded music etc for church functions. I made a number of recordings of Carol Concerts, wedding services etc using a Brennell Mk 5 and a Reslo Ribbon mike. In later years I used a Revox B77 and a crossed pair of Sennheiser directional mikes. On 15 ips half track stereo; the results were surprisingly good. The filmgroup then made cassette copies in aid of church funds.

Sound effects from various live sources were used to augment the Club's video productions.
Old 8th Jan 2021, 10:57 am   #5
Martin Bush
Octode

I have a few reel to reel tapes here that I got off ebay. I don't have a player now and didn't get round to playing the tapes, but I am led to believe they contain bird song. The seller was interested in what was on them if I ever played them.

If anyone wants a reel to investigate the contents let me know.
Old 14th Jan 2021, 4:46 pm   #6
SoundHunter
Diode

Thank you every one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien VK3RX View Post
Your post reminded me of something I read in a book recently, “Film Pilot – From James Bond To Hurricane Katrina” by Jerry Grayson AFC.
I love this story, Damien!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
I've often wondered about this too, given the coverage in the 'tape recording' magazines of the era. There were competitions with all kinds of categories where people could submit recordings, too.

In all my years collecting 'found sounds' I still have not come across any tapes that may have been a part of that circle of activity.
There was even an international contest, that was active until 2016. I'm investigating the local / regional sound archives to see if there are traces of these clubs. According to the January 1962 issue of Amateur Tape Recording, there were more than 150 clubs in Great Britain.
Mark Vernon, a sound artist from Glasgow found the collection of the Derby Tape Recording Club in a car boot sale years ago. You can check really nice pictures and sounds on his website (meagreresource.com/)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontech View Post
Sincee the early 60's I have been a member of a Film Society associated with a local church. As part of our activities we provided PA, recorded music etc for church functions. I made a number of recordings of Carol Concerts, wedding services etc using a Brennell Mk 5 and a Reslo Ribbon mike. In later years I used a Revox B77 and a crossed pair of Sennheiser directional mikes. On 15 ips half track stereo; the results were surprisingly good. The filmgroup then made cassette copies in aid of church funds.

Sound effects from various live sources were used to augment the Club's video productions.
Nice! Did you maintain a sound activity when video cameras started to record sound (for sound effect, or a better sound quality for example)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Bush View Post
I have a few reel to reel tapes here that I got off ebay. I don't have a player now and didn't get round to playing the tapes, but I am led to believe they contain bird song. The seller was interested in what was on them if I ever played them.

If anyone wants a reel to investigate the contents let me know.
I drop you an email when I'm back in York!
Old 15th Jan 2021, 11:00 am   #7
lesmw0sec
Octode

I still have a composite tape from BATRC (1971) which includes the winners. Some musical and others of various types. I entered a tape of polyphon recordings at the time and managed third place! On of the winners was a P.L. Bastin whom I recall had a good sense of humour!
Closed Thread