UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Dec 2015, 1:45 pm   #1
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

Default Ekco Bulkhead Light Fitting.

I recently changed a light fitting for a friend and was surprised to see the old one had an Ekco logo.

Apart from radios the only things I was aware of them making was Hostess trolleys and plastic kitchenware. You live and learn.

As to age, it's been in situ all my life (forty-five years) and was wired with 3/.018 cable rather than metric stuff.

— Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SA400147.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	117298   Click image for larger version

Name:	SA400145.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	117299   Click image for larger version

Name:	SA400146.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	117300  
Old 22nd Dec 2015, 3:39 pm   #2
camallison
Heptode

Default Re: Ekco Bulkhead Light Fitting.

There's an Ekco one on our bungalow, and that was built in 1972.

Colin
Old 22nd Dec 2015, 5:37 pm   #3
matthewhouse
Octode

I threw out a smashed Ekco flourescent fitting a while back, the end caps were on wires that pushed onto the tube and the tube was held up by 2 wire C shaped loops.
Old 22nd Dec 2015, 5:56 pm   #4
McMurdo
Dekatron

By the mid 1960's, the EKCO lighting and lamps brand was owned & applied to products made by Thorn AEI (BLI) alongside Atlas
Old 22nd Dec 2015, 6:42 pm   #5
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePillenwerfer View Post
Apart from radios the only things I was aware of them making was Hostess trolleys and plastic kitchenware. You live and learn.
We had a bright red EKCO lavatory seat in the outside loo from 1985 to 1987. It was replaced when an extension moved the facilities to indoors. It had probably been there since the '50s.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 23rd Dec 2015, 2:52 am   #6
Zelandeth
Heptode

Ecko made some pretty decent fluorescent and streetlighting gear too.

Wonderful thing with lanterns like this is that there's really nothing to go wrong with them that can't be easily sorted! They really can last forever so long as the bowl doesn't get smashed.
Old 12th Jan 2016, 1:49 pm   #7
unabridged
Tetrode

Resounding the above, i'm off to remove an Ekco 5ft from Dad's shed later today to replace with LED (he does a lot of intricate machining and has now drifted from the main garage into the shed as well, so upgrading in there). ANyway that's by the by; the florry i'm removing was apparaenlty being disposed of after long service when he found it in a skip in the late 70's. So they've been around a while!
Old 12th Jan 2016, 10:57 pm   #8
Herald1360
Dekatron

Intricate machining? Moving machinery? Hope the LEDs are HF driven not 100Hz mains flicker, though if florries were OK.............
.........O..Chris....O
Old 13th Jan 2016, 10:36 am   #9
Zelandeth
Heptode

Hopefully the removed fitting will be retained for use elsewhere, no reason it won't do another 40+ years service really. At least 5' tubes are still available unlike the now obsolete 8' ones which are getting harder to find at sensible prices now.
Old 13th Jan 2016, 2:38 pm   #10
unabridged
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald1360 View Post
Intricate machining? Moving machinery? Hope the LEDs are HF driven not 100Hz mains flicker, though if florries were OK...
Yeah, flickering was never an issue before and certainly isn't now These LED's weren't cheap - they are mainly Philips Pro (used in subways and Govt' installs etc) and seem to handle the assortment of machinary well

Functionality wise I far prefer this setup - the light output has more than doubled up there now, colour temperature is a lot easier on the old man's eyes and the energy consumption has shot down to peanuts

As for the old fitting, I love it too much to get rid of it I have a small crawl space in my attic which I sometimes need to do work in, so it is laid out and ready for install! I shall upload some photos tomorrow

If it smells like burning chicken, you're holding the wrong end
Closed Thread