UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Dec 2017, 7:06 pm   #61
Tazman1966
Nonode

Default Re: It's DAT again!

And the other pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PC205983.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	154277   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC205984.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	154278   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC205985.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	154279   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC205986.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	154280   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC205987.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	154281  

Old 20th Dec 2017, 7:25 pm   #62
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Hello Taz,
The set you gave me can be seen on a couple of my pics. John.
Old 21st Dec 2017, 12:58 am   #63
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazman1966 View Post
So into the workshop I went to photograph this years not so extensive vintage display...
The display is impressive, but what's impressed me most is your pristine clean and totally uncluttered benches! How do you keep it like that? In my workshop, every horizontal surface is covered with bits and pieces... and in many cases, several layers deep

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 21st Dec 2017, 2:50 pm   #64
AC/HL
Dekatron

Sounds familiar!
Old 21st Dec 2017, 3:39 pm   #65
Tazman1966
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G4SPZ View Post
...what's impressed me most is your pristine clean and totally uncluttered benches! How do you keep it like that?...
Hmmm! Some very careful framing of the photographs There is a Philips 570 in bits on the bench that you can't see in the photographs!
Old 21st Dec 2017, 4:11 pm   #66
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

But... not a nut, washer, scrap of paper, coffee stain, bit of fag ash, chopped-out waxie, crumpled circuit diagram, screwdriver or pliers to be seen! Hardly a TV engineer's workshop, methinks, but - go on, admit it - you've had a tidy-up especially for the photographs!!

Old 21st Dec 2017, 5:13 pm   #67
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

It's called 'Christmas Cleaning'. Often carried out by ladies of the house just prior to Christmas. They didn't like hanging the Christmas decorations 'over the muck!' Probably not so popular today. John.
Old 21st Dec 2017, 5:22 pm   #68
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

No-one of the lady gender is allowed in my workshop, and the fact that I can always find things where I last left them and never lose anything in there confirms the wisdom of this policy. I find that those large yellow and black "Danger of Death" warning notices are very effective in deterring any non-compliance!

Oh, and with two vacuum cleaners in there, it's clean too. Untidy, maybe, but clean

Old 21st Dec 2017, 5:24 pm   #69
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I have long been a believer in the statement that 'an empty bench (or desk) is a sign of an empty mind' . I know that my benches (and any other level surface) soon get covered in tools, components, bits of old computer/tape recorder/radio, etc.

As for Christmas decorations (or in my case Newtonsday decorations, as that's what I celebrate at this time), I haven't put any up here. I do have -- somewhere -- 16 LEDs fitted to a string of tinsel. There's a PSU/driver box with it that links to a 16 bit parallel port of the DEC DR11-C or PERQ PERQlink flavour. I have a PERQ program that I wrote to flash various sequences on the LEDs. Total overkill, of course, but the sort of thing I do. Maybe next year I will have found it and got it running.
Old 21st Dec 2017, 5:29 pm   #70
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Quote:
No-one of the lady gender is allowed in my workshop, and the fact that I can always find things where I last left them and never lose anything in there confirms the wisdom of this policy. I find that those large yellow and black "Danger of Death" warning notices are very effective in deterring any non-compliance!

Oh, and with two vacuum cleaners in there, it's clean too. Untidy, maybe, but clean
I have met many great lady engineers (some on this forum) and any would be most welcome in my workshop. They, in the main, expect to find tools in handy places, like on the bench in front of you. However my house would not be large enough for me to have a wife, even if I could find a lady who would put up with me.

As an aside, am I alone in thinking that 'spring cleaning' refers to an operation in the restoration of a gramophone or clock, and nothing else ?
Old 21st Dec 2017, 5:48 pm   #71

Quote:
As an aside, am I alone in thinking that 'spring cleaning' refers to an operation in the restoration of a gramophone or clock, and nothing else ?
It includes Anglepoise Lamps too.

Old 21st Dec 2017, 6:07 pm   #72
1100 man
Octode

Quote:
But... not a nut, washer, scrap of paper, coffee stain, bit of fag ash, chopped-out waxie, crumpled circuit diagram, screwdriver or pliers to be seen! Hardly a TV engineer's workshop, methinks, but - go on, admit it - you've had a tidy-up especially for the photographs!!
I reckon he had only just finished building the workshop the instant before the photo was taken! That's the only way it could be that tidy, as by the end of the first day it would have all the things listed above strewn liberally about!

Cheers
Nick
Old 21st Dec 2017, 6:55 pm   #73

Here are my Christmas lights, left up and turned on once a year. This is the corner of the kitchen, count the radios and TVs!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3930.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	154332  

Old 21st Dec 2017, 7:12 pm   #74
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I like the electomagnetic pedulum clock!

It's almost as bad as what the estate agents called the 'living room' when I bought the house. It now has a row of 19" racks down the middle containing a PDP11, PDP8, VAX, etc....
Old 21st Dec 2017, 7:58 pm   #75
Radio Wrangler

You don't find a water-cooled beryllium oxide shaker in many kitchens....

David
Old 21st Dec 2017, 7:59 pm   #76
Radio Wrangler

You don't find a water-cooled beryllium oxide shaker in many kitchens....

David
Old 22nd Dec 2017, 12:56 pm   #77
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

Well into my workshop we go and here are my vintage lights.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20171212_204417.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	154361   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171212_204447.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	154362   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171212_204524.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	154363   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171212_204533.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	154364  
Old 23rd Dec 2017, 2:19 am   #78
julie_m
Dekatron

There is definitely a certain something about the glow from the old-fashioned tungsten filament fairy lights that you don't get with LEDs. I can only assume it's because it's a broadband filtered warm white light as opposed to monochromatic. And even flimsily-insulated mains voltage wiring was probably less unsafe than the candles with naked flames that had preceded them .....

(My own tree has modern LED lights on it; but at least it has a proper eclectic mix of different colours and sizes of ornaments, including home-made and edible ones. Not like those awful one-colour monstrosities you see in some shops ..... and it has proper tinsel, not those nasty string-of-bead things.)

One thing I do find slightly disappointing with modern LED lights is that they seem invariably to be wired as only two phases; whereas LEDs could be wired effectively as four phases still using only three wires, byusing the self-rectification property as part of the multiplexing. This would give a more realistic "chasing" effect with a clearly-defined direction, and allow two colours to be displayed at different brightnesses. But I suppose I'm just being picky here; after all, the Sun is going to be coming back again in the Spring, our fancy illuminated displays notwithstanding .....
Old 23rd Dec 2017, 6:18 am   #79
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunts smoothing bomb View Post
Well into my workshop we go and here are my vintage lights.Cheers
Hello Lee,
Does the 4ft ATLAS fluorescent fitting complete with ballast lamp change colour? John.
Old 23rd Dec 2017, 3:04 pm   #80
Tazman1966
Nonode

Well Phil, yes I did have a tidy up before hand as it was a complete s...hole! It still needs work and then it'll be calm enough for me to concentrate!
Closed Thread