UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Dec 2007, 12:13 am   #21
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: Mustek Scanner - worth the effort?

Textbridge (at least the older versions) will only process black and white (lineart) image files, not greyscale or full colour. So if you give it a black and while BMP file it will be happy, but if you give it a colour or greyscale BMP it will complain about incorrect format. Textbridge is a reasonably OCR program if the original scan is clear.

I have a modern Epson A4 scanner and a modern Mustek A3 scanner. Both connect to the same PC by USB. The Epson will scan an A4 sheet at 600DPI about 4 times faster than the Mustek. One of the things you get with a decent brand scanner is faster scan speed. Other things you get include better image quality and better scanning software. Mustek have always been at the budget end of the scanner market.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 14th Dec 2007, 12:49 am   #22
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywave View Post
First, I am surprised at the scanning speed: seems really slow.
My Mustek 1200UB Plus (?) USB scanner is also pretty slow. This isn't a problem for me as I only scan occasionally.

Paul
Old 14th Dec 2007, 1:05 am   #23
Kat Manton
Retired Dormant Member

Hi,

I wonder if my perception that my identical scanner is "reasonably fast" is down to its predecessor (Artec A6000) being very slow? That took three passes for colour scans.

I'll time my Mustek and report the results (probably sometime tomorrow as I'm in the midst of setting up a new server at the moment; the scanner's going to end up attached to it.)

Drivers/software I can't help you with as I use Linux. The Linux kernel supports the SCSI card, SANE supports the scanner and the SANE network daemon allows it to be accessed from any machine on the LAN. I generally run the XSane graphical front-end on whichever machine I happen to be using; that supports scanning, OCR etc.

Where that might be useful is that my tests won't be using any Adaptec or Mustek drivers/software, but broadly similar hardware. It might help rule something out (or I might find it's actually just as slow.)

Cheers, Kat
Old 14th Dec 2007, 9:12 am   #24
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Thumbs up Re: Mustek Scanner - worth the effort?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Stenning
Textbridge (at least the older versions) will only process black and white (lineart) image files, not greyscale or full colour.
Of course! I had completely forgotten that! Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Stenning
Mustek have always been at the budget end of the scanner market.
That is my perception; hence, the title of this Thread.
At least I now know that the Adaptec SCSI card is functional. So perhaps I now need to look for a higher-quality SCSI scanner to use with this card.
[By definition, it seems to me that this may generate a new Thread?]

And, finally, thank you for the comments made above.

Al / Skywave
Old 15th Dec 2007, 1:56 pm   #25
flyingtech55
Octode

Hi Skywave

I used one of those Mustek SCSI scanners...also a similar age HP one. Both were very slow. I am normally loath to discard working kit but I did bin those scanners some time ago. The new ones are just so much better, smaller and more compatible with current stuff.

I currently use an HP (USB2) scanner with a document feeder with Abby FineReader7 OCR software. That works well.

New scanners are so cheap now that it's often not worth messing about with old ones. They've progressed so much in recent years that if you actually need to use one, a current one is the only way to go.

HTH

TimR
Old 15th Dec 2007, 2:40 pm   #26
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Thanks Tim - that is the conclusion that I have now reached.

Before I started all this, I suspected that that was the conclusion that I would eventually reach - hence, the comments in my original, first posting.

I shall now search for a new-ish HP scanner - and preferably see it working prior to handing over the cash!

Once again - my thanks to all who have contributed to my investigations with this project.

Al / Skywave.
Old 17th Dec 2007, 1:40 pm   #27
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
I shall now search for a new-ish HP scanner - and preferably see it working prior to handing over the cash!
That's good if you can. We bought a Xerox one at a previous employer that scanned photos very poorly. HP or Epson should be a safe bet though.

My main one is an Epson Perfection V100 (I have one at home and one at work) which works very well. The software allows you good control (if you set it to Professional mode), it's reasonably fast and does a good job. It uses a USB2 connection. It also does slides and negatives, which is useful if you need this functionality. I think it costs about £50 new, and includes the typical basic OCR and photo editing software which you don't have to use if you have something better (you just need to install the driver and Epson Scan).

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 17th Dec 2007, 7:50 pm   #28
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Thanks for that recommendation, Paul - I've made appropriate notes.

Occasionally, I've seen HP scanners for sale in the local newspaper - hence my comment about 'seeing one working first'.

Well, it seems to me like this Thread has now run its course - but I'll leave it to the Mods. & Admins. to decide when to close it.

And once again - many thanks to all who contributed.

Al / Skywave.
Old 17th Dec 2007, 8:10 pm   #29
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I would tend to agree with these conclusions.

A neighbour recently asked me to help him connect-up a scanner he'd got from Freecycle. It was obviously nicely made and in first-class condition but had a SCSI interface and nothing newer than Win95 drivers.

We reluctantly concluded that a nice new HP one from Argos would be a better choice, and he has been delighted with it. I think Argos would have given him a refund if it had been unsuitable, for whatever reason.

Nick.
Old 17th Dec 2007, 10:38 pm   #30
Skywave
Rest in Peace

More 'input'!

Quote:
Well, it seems to me like this Thread has now run its course . . . .
Al / Skywave.
Whoops! Wrong again, Al!

Argos - well, maybe.
I bought a digital camera from them earlier in the year. After a couple of hours use and having determined that it was unsuitable for my needs, it was a bit of a struggle to get a refund. It was only by my insisting that prior to the purchase, I did go to some lengths to explain just what I wanted to use the camera for and that its inability to meet this need entitled me to the refund.
Obviously - in the case of a (possible) scanner purchase - I will need to review their Sale and Return Conditions carefully for such an item, first.

But - thanks, Nick, for the contribution.

Al / Skywave.
Old 17th Dec 2007, 11:11 pm   #31
paulsherwin

Quote:
Argos - well, maybe.
I bought a digital camera from them earlier in the year. After a couple of hours use and having determined that it was unsuitable for my needs, it was a bit of a struggle to get a refund. It was only by my insisting that prior to the purchase, I did go to some lengths to explain just what I wanted to use the camera for and that its inability to meet this need entitled me to the refund.
Cameras are one of a number of items excluded from the 'no questions asked' refund arrangement. This is usually indicated in the catalogue. They are worried that people will 'buy' a camera, take it on holiday and take lots of pictures, then return it for a refund. You should be OK with a scanner but I suppose it's wise to check.

Paul
Old 19th Dec 2007, 8:50 pm   #32
Zelandeth
Heptode

I'm a bit late here! But figure I've got a useful suggestion to anyone following this thread.

I've had an Adaptec AHA-1542CF ISA SCSI card since about 1998, which is hooked up to a couple of harddrives (IBM DORS-32160 and Micropolis 1598MD from memory), which caused me no end of headaches when the machine had its motherboard upgraded from a 486 to (I think) a K6-2 400. Eventually I figured out that this card (and two others I tried, in two different machines) would only work reliably if they were in the first (bottom) ISA slot, otherwise unpredicable things varying from flat refusal to function, not detecting anything on the bus, to working fine...but only on a warm boot ensued. Just a thought that this might be something that's more widespread a behaviour than just the cards and motherboards I've worked with.
Old 19th Dec 2007, 10:42 pm   #33
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Mustek Scanner - worth the effort?

Hi Zel -

Yes - I've come across this too - and not just limited to ISA slots and SCSI cards: met it with PCI slots - especially with video cards.

Up to that point (which was a few years ago) I always thought that "all PCI slots were 'equal' ". These days - by default - I always fit the video card in the top slot - usually this means that it is as close to the memory (and, usually, the uP) as possible. This phenonemom is probably accountable for by distributed impedance and delays on the MoBo (i.e. using this top slot keeps these to a minimum) - plus, of course, the variable quality of MoBos and the cards themselves.

Thanks for your contribution.

Al / Skywave.
Old 20th Dec 2007, 6:29 pm   #34
flyingtech55
Octode

Hi Skywave and Zel

I have a Pinnacle DV500 video capture card and it can be very picky with regard to the actual PCI slot it's plugged into. ISTR that the instructions actually tell you which slot to use with their (Pinnacle's) list of approved, compatible mother boards. A bit inconvenient if you don't use one of those MOBOs!!

TimR