UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Aug 2007, 4:58 pm   #1
paul.brett
Tetrode

Default CGA to SCART

Hi guys,

I picked up a CGA to SCART converter at last weekends Kings Lynn radio rally, and decided to try it today using my Amstrad PC1640HD30-MD.

Removing the signal lead (DB9 male) from the computer end, I put the new cable into the socket, and the Amstrad turned itself off.

I re-connected the Amstrad MD display, but the unit refused to come on.

I thought it was a total disaster, as the Amstrad would NOT come on at all after that. A few minutes later, and I heard a faint 'click' inside the monitor, and when power was re-applied, it sprang back to life.

Now my questions:

1. Is it likely this CGA to SCART unit is faulty in some way?

2. Should I have altered some of the dip switches on the Amstrad before trying it? (It is being used with a MD mono monitor and the moment).

Maybe something a little more standard than the Amstrad (with power for the base unit coming from the monitor) would have met with more success. I fear for the safety of my treasured IBM PC and AT. What do you think?

Paul.
Old 17th Aug 2007, 5:06 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: CGA to SCART

Hi Paul,

Was that my dad's old PC1640 with the dodgy HDD that you collected from me a year or two ago?

Anyway, I am 90% sure that this used to run OK with a home-made PSU (from J Bull Electrical) and an ancient, green-screen IBM monitor. My PC1512 definitely did (I bought it NOS with no monitor, so had to improvise).

In view of this, it suggests that the power supply in the Amstrad monitor is designed to shut down if the signals plug is removed from the PC. So maybe if you rigged up an external supply, you might find everything works ok.

I do have a photocopied manual for the PC1640 somewhere. Would you like it (assuming I ever find it)?

Nick.
Old 17th Aug 2007, 5:09 pm   #3
paul.brett
Tetrode

Nick,

Do you know, it hadn't even occured to me to read the manual? (I do have one.) That's laziness for you!

From the chain of events, I guess you're right about the signal lead requirement. Maybe I will risk a quick go of the unit with my IBM PC.

Cheers.

Paul.
Old 17th Aug 2007, 5:13 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul.brett View Post
Do you know, it hadn't even occured to me to read the manual? (I do have one.)
I really meant the service manual, i.e. the one with circuit diagrams in it. But the user manual has got pin connection details in it too, I think.

Do you have both?
Old 17th Aug 2007, 7:29 pm   #5
Dave Moll
Dekatron

The user manual gives the DIP settings for the various monitor types, but I can't find a pinout for anything other than the serial port.
Old 17th Aug 2007, 10:09 pm   #6
Dave Moll
Dekatron

The pinout for the power connector is in the Technical Reference Manual:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Amstrad-power.gif
Views:	219
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	11580  
Old 17th Aug 2007, 11:07 pm   #7
plumbweiss
Retired Dormant Member

But surely the Amstrad monitor PSU is used to supply the PC, meaning the PC wont power up without its own monitor??
Old 17th Aug 2007, 11:19 pm   #8
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumbweiss View Post
But surely the Amstrad monitor PSU is used to supply the PC, meaning the PC wont power up without its own monitor??
Two separate connectors... so in theory, you should be able to leave the power one connected to the original monitor, whilst connecting the signals one to any monitor of your choice.
Old 18th Aug 2007, 2:35 pm   #9
plumbweiss
Retired Dormant Member

Doesnt the monitor PSU just fall into standby if no video is present?
Old 18th Aug 2007, 6:15 pm   #10
Dave Moll
Dekatron

My 1640 starts up fine without the monitor data cable plugged in. Once I plug it back in the display is as expected.