UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Jan 2007, 8:39 pm   #1
pmmunro
Octode

Default Silk Screen Printing Recommendations

I am considering the possibility of having some Avometer instruction plates silk screen printed and would like to ask if anyone has any experience of having this kind of work done?

Other techniques, such as industrial ink jet printing, might also be suitable if the result was of high enough quality.

The plates are mostly aluminium, about 0.5mm thick, and the print is black on a white or "off biege" colour with lettering around 1.2mm high. Overall dimensions of the plates are 143 x 162mm. On some wartime instruments the plates are brass which, although more expensive, was presumably more readily available at the time.

I have some unused plates which are good enough to use as masters and some that would be good enough with some retouching.

The final result has to be close to the original finish and texture.

Peter M. Munro
Old 13th Jan 2007, 8:46 pm   #2
Geoff G4ICD
Triode

Default Re: Silk Screen Printing Recommendations

Consider, scan/print at high resolution and then using Vinyl A4 self adhesive sheet (gloss or matt) and sticking this to your plates, I have just done this for station plates and it is a VERY good match to the original, in fact I showed them to somebody today and they could not tell the difference between the original and my copy.

Last edited by Kat Manton; 13th Jan 2007 at 9:43 pm. Reason: Removed (broken) quote
Old 13th Jan 2007, 9:39 pm   #3
igranic
Rest in Peace

Peter,

You will probably find that the silk screen process is a little coarse for 1.2mm print. The originals were probably printed by the 'flexo' process, which uses a rubber 'plate'. If you have ever tried to read the small print on airline tickets, many of which are flexo printed, you will appreciate the level of detail that can be achieved with the process.

g4icd,

Sounds interesting. Where do you buy your "Vinyl A4 self adhesive sheet (gloss or matt)"? What is the typical cost? Is this for ink jet or laser printing?
Old 13th Jan 2007, 10:05 pm   #4
Geoff G4ICD
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by igranic View Post

g4icd,

Sounds interesting. Where do you buy your "Vinyl A4 self adhesive sheet (gloss or matt)"? What is the typical cost? Is this for ink jet or laser printing?
This was bought on Ebay and is fine for laser/ink jet, costs vary, they use this stuff for outdoor adverts and it is pretty rugged...........well pleased with the results and able to replica station plates instead of putting them in the bin due to fading or have been scratched by the pointer!

I have just checked Ebay and there is also listed self adhesive clear vinyl sheet, this can be printed on then fitted on glass or perspex radio station panels, ideal for replacing those broken glass panels?

Last edited by Geoff G4ICD; 13th Jan 2007 at 10:23 pm.
Closed Thread