UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jul 2019, 6:50 pm   #1
EF80TVVALVE
Octode

Default 'Blown' speaker repair help

Hi all,

I've recently had a problem with the speaker in my car and thought I would get it out and try to repair it. It is a mid 1980s VW speaker and surprisingly still the original date stamped from 1985.

It has recently started distorting at any volume and I was expecting to see a damaged cone, but it actually looks fine. When I tried it I pressed onto the cone and it started working as it should whilst I applied pressure but soon distorted again once my fingers were off. There's no coil rubbing or anything bad, just wondering if there is anything I can do to fix it before I buy a replacement.

If anything I would say that the edges of the cone feel a bit thinner and they obviously have some kind of finish applied, maybe to help tighten up the edges of the cone?

I've attached a photo just to show the condition.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15634720974621891072597.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	186887   Click image for larger version

Name:	1563472150232711492696.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	186888  
Old 19th Jul 2019, 6:08 am   #2
tony brady
Hexode

Default Re: 'Blown' speaker repair help

I expect one of the braided wires has broken at one end.

with care they can be soldered to repair the break though access could be tricky
Old 19th Jul 2019, 9:51 am   #3
boxdoctor
Rest in Peace

Default Re: 'Blown' speaker repair help

It might be worth checking that the speech coil is not becoming detached from the cone. This can be done by careful inspection in a good light, and gently physically moving the cone at the same time.
If detachment is observed/suspected, judicious application of a minimal amount of an acrylic adhesive may save you the expense of a new speaker. Tony
Closed Thread