UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Old 1st May 2018, 3:25 pm   #1
Vintage_Man2012
Triode

Default DAC90 back panels

Hi everyone,

I’m after 2x Bush DAC90 rear panels to replace a couple that have become damaged from the usual excessive heat from the dropper.

There were some reproductions recently for sale on eBay but they’ve now gone.

If anyone has 2 for sale can they please PM me to discuss a sale.

Please note these are for the early DAC90 models NOT the DAC90A.

Thanks
Paul
Vintage_Man2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2018, 6:01 pm   #2
Horris
Pentode

Default Re: DAC90 back panels

Contact forum member Neil24-7 . He makes replacement backs.

Dave
Horris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2018, 7:03 pm   #3
Vintage_Man2012
Triode

Cheers for the info Dave,

Much appreciated!

Paul
Old 1st May 2018, 7:06 pm   #4
David G4EBT
Dekatron

If you check out the thread below, you'll see that Neil did make a batch of panels for DAC90s and was going to a lot of trouble to get scans of other backs with a view to offering them for sale. Youlll note that his last post in that thread stated:

Quote:

Mods if you can close this please.

I'll put something on services offered as the panels I make cover a lot more models now due to the help of forum members, a big thank you to everyone who sent me scans, keep them coming.

Cheers Neil.

End quote.

I've not actually seen a thread by Neil in the Services Offered section.

It's worth saying the Neil makes slate signs professionally, and the MDF back panels that he makes are done on a CNC router and are superb and very modestly priced.

Having made quite a lot of backs for my own restorations using a router jig that I designed, it's an unpleasant time-consuming task to do on a DIY basis. MDF dust is nasty stuff and some DIY stores won't cut it to size on the premises. I used a powered respirator with build in filter and face mask, and ear defenders. However much you try to keep the dust down it's next to impossible. Then having cut all the slots with a router, you have to accurately cut the panel to size on a band-saw.

Even for anyone who has the skills and inclination to take the DIY route, it makes no sense at all to go to that hassle if Neil can come up with the goods:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=136961

(as a footnote, the original backs were die stamped out of 'millboard' (often with a dimpled paper finish) then screen printed. Millboard consists of layers of paper stuck together. MDF is a better substitute, and though millboard is still available, and is sometimes used for vintage car interior panels, it doesn't lend itself to routing).

Hope that helps.

Last edited by David G4EBT; 1st May 2018 at 7:11 pm.
David G4EBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2018, 7:11 pm   #5
Tractionist
Hexode

Seconded! Neil is a lovely bloke - his panels are first class .... and as stated, modestly priced.
Old 1st May 2018, 7:36 pm   #6
Freya
Octode

Not sure if Neil has been unwell again, my PM`s have gone unanswered as have my emails of late. Its not like him to not respond. Hope he is OK.

Edit, just looked and he hasn't been on the forum since the 18th april.

"It`s only an old telly"
Freya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2018, 11:50 pm   #7
Vintage_Man2012
Triode

Super info everyone - thanks very much for all your help!

Paul