UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Old 20th May 2018, 2:37 pm   #21
Audio1950
Dekatron

Default Re: Garrard RC121 mk2 Disassembly Issue

There is a lot more slackness in your lever than in mine. Spring stretched?
Audio1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2018, 4:34 pm   #22
PsychMan
Octode

Yes I think so Barry. I’ve mucked about with it and effectively shortened it to retension and now it is stopping after all records have dropped, but still the size selection is off

It looks to me like it’s setting down in the 12’’ position for 10’’, 8’’ on 7 inch, and for 12’’ the 10’’ position
PsychMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2018, 6:12 pm   #23
PsychMan
Octode

This video shows current operation, though I have since retensioned the spring and it ends a cycle, just sizes the records wrong. The adjustment on the selector arm still doesn’t correct this. So I think the spring was a problem, but beyond that I’ve got something else wrong. Ive has enough for today and unlikely I can work on it again for a a week or so.

Thanks again Barry for those pictures, really helpful. I may however need to find another on eBay and look at the two side by side to crack this. If only it was an autoslim

https://youtu.be/l3pIX7BvpPU
Old 20th May 2018, 6:43 pm   #24
Audio1950
Dekatron

I remember that on one of the manufacturers' paper turntable instruction sheets, it said that if you get it set up correctly for 10" records, the rest will be set automatically. This advice may of course have referred to one of the more simple BSR models. The RC121 Mk2 may be a complicated bit of kit, and is undoubtedly a pig to set up, but ain't it a joy to watch when it's working properly?
Old 20th May 2018, 9:47 pm   #25
PsychMan
Octode

It is indeed , I had originally planned to stick an AT6 in this radiogram but it is a lovely deck and I don't want to go butchering the motor board. The size selection, though a right royal pain in the a**e for me right now, is quite nice for stacking 10 and 12 inch 78s.

And with regards 10'' setup, yes all the documentation I've seen refer to setting up for 10'', I.e 6 inch and 1/16 gap between the selector flag and centre of spindle on 10''. I have set this but obviously something underneath is out of wack as it still doesnt work as it should.

I found an unrestored example on ebay for £5 plus postage, hopefully having one next to it will enable me to see what I've done wrong.

Otherwise I will be asking Michael if he can sort this for me!!!
Old 21st May 2018, 2:55 pm   #26
Audio1950
Dekatron

Maybe the one you're getting from ebay will only need a clean up, so you can use that, and keep the original for spares?
Old 21st May 2018, 3:07 pm   #27
PsychMan
Octode

I considered that, but the one I'm getting is black and the original is a crème colour

I certainly wont rule it out for an easy life, it will at least fit