UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Apr 2018, 12:31 pm   #1
hammarlund 7
Triode

Default Racal device. Marine?

Could any member tell me what this is likely to be? Attached to it is approx. 15 metres of coax, it looks like it would be attached to a bracket of some sort, please see attached photo. I would appreciate any comments.

Regards Merv.G6 NJJ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	161530  
Old 21st Apr 2018, 2:11 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Racal device. Marine?

Looks like a UHF antenna of some kind: does it have any kind of label with serial/part-number or NATO stock-number?

I'd be guessing it'd be either for GPS or perhaps for the 2.4GHz ISM band (as used for most WiFi, and also for the likes of the Bowman PRR).
Old 21st Apr 2018, 6:11 pm   #3
hammarlund 7
Triode

Hello and many thanks for info, it'll end up on the shelf marked "will come in handy one day" I'm sure we all have one or several of those!!

Kind regards, Merv.
Old 21st Apr 2018, 7:03 pm   #4
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

Merv,

I agree it might be for GPS or for reception of differential corrections from shore stations, to improve the accuracy of GPS. It could also be an active antenna for broadcast bands reception or a MF antenna for NAVTEX reception or even a weather FAX HF active antenna! Racal made a whole host of systems, yours looks as though it is meant for marine use and probably was installed on top of the bridge or mainmast. If the cable length is original then it might be intended for a small vessel.

Cheers

Roger
Old 21st Apr 2018, 8:28 pm   #5
hammarlund 7
Triode

Hello Roger, many thanks,that would seem to be the answer, I got it from a sale of ex marine gear along with a JRC marine rx, it seemed too good to discard!!

Much appreciated indeed 73, Merv.
Old 28th Apr 2018, 5:34 am   #6
Martin G7MRV
Heptode

518kHz NAVTEX antenna

My Blog - http://g7mrv.blogspot.com
Closed Thread