UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 25th May 2018, 4:41 pm   #41
Techman
Dekatron

Default Re: Calling on knowledge for a Ferguson 3425 record player.

You certainly are not expected to use your christian name on the forum - I never use my christian name in posts, but I nearly always do when answering PMs.

You can get virtually everything you need to repair a unit like yours with a few clicks of a computer mouse without leaving your house.

You don't need to remove the front panel to give the noisy pots a shot of switch cleaner (Servisol 10) - as far as I can see, that is.

If I could make a small observation: There are a lot of photos showing near enough the same thing. The one thing we haven't seen yet is a close up of the other end of that old rubber bit of mains lead and exactly where it's connected to, hopefully somewhere on the main board. A wrong connection of this lead could even be causing the balance problem on the radio side, which will no doubt cause the same problem on the record player section - the clue is in that radio station break through when set to 'gram' in your video. So let's see that, and once members have seen this other connection, advice can be given as to where the new screened cable can be connected - this screened cable can be bought on line with a couple of mouse clicks.

You'll not get better advice on the gram that you've got there anywhere else on the 'net than you'll get on here!
Old 25th May 2018, 4:46 pm   #42
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

I know I queried why you would want to remove the front panel? There's little point in doing this (and risking damage) because if you intend the spray clean the balance potentiometer, you will need to access this from the rear of the unit. The whole chassis in this goes in from behind. By all means spray the Balance control (with Servisol) but there's little point in you doing this until the pick up wiring on that tag card is made good as you will only ever hear one channel anyway until it's sorted. Having done this, you can move on to the next stage......
Old 25th May 2018, 5:23 pm   #43
camtechman
Nonode

Crumbs.......this thread seems to be coming the Facebook/Twitter of the repair & restoration world.........Take a deep breath & pull your necks in, or you'll go on the naughty step. LOL.

Last edited by camtechman; 25th May 2018 at 5:29 pm.
Old 25th May 2018, 5:37 pm   #44
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

You have indeed been polite at all times and that is appreciated. Maybe you need more Forum context having said more about yourself? Christian names obviously aren't a requirement but it perhaps indicates something sometimes. You aren't required to carry out work if there are practical problems. It's all about pace and timing and I'm afraid you have given the impression that you are not listening whether you meant to are not. You should note this is not a personal attack. It's simply both sides of the situation.

Believe it or not, someone rushing on ahead like this is not at all unique to yourself, there was a very similar thread just a week ago. However some people do very well in the end, are still with us and greatly valued. Others are completely unrelenting then suddenly disappear. A third group vanish immediately when asked any questions about themselves.

Nobody is a mind reader though and you can't assume that just being polite/apologetic [a basic requirement] means you can't possibly get things wrong initially. It's very much in your favour that you are still here though which absolutely puts you ahead in the right way.

I suggest a re-start. Say HOW you intend to proede from now or why you can't, wait for the responses and work with us on what is agreed. It will be worth it. Forum members are natural problem solvers, that's why there is a Success Stories section.

Dave

Sorry camtech-only people who care will bother though!
"Normal Service Will Be Resumed As Soon as possible"

Last edited by dave walsh; 25th May 2018 at 5:45 pm.
Old 25th May 2018, 6:51 pm   #45
The Wrong Era
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave walsh View Post
Believe it or not, someone rushing on ahead like this is not at all unique to yourself
*sigh* I am not rushing ahead, I am trying to get the information so when I have the time and money to work on it I can. I am 100% not rushing ahead - I haven't even started working on it yet.
Once I can get the cable (location and cost - I'm currently between jobs so money is tight at the moment) I will start to work through the steps that have been suggested here.
I think it's best if I come back when I have the cable and the time. You all seem to be agitated by the fact that I'm gathering information before working on it. so let's just leave it there shall we?
Many thanks to every one for all the help.
Lee.
Old 25th May 2018, 6:55 pm   #46
The Wrong Era
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camtechman View Post
Crumbs.......this thread seems to be coming the Facebook/Twitter of the repair & restoration world.........Take a deep breath & pull your necks in, or you'll go on the naughty step. LOL.
Totally agree! :')
Old 25th May 2018, 6:57 pm   #47
Techman
Dekatron

Before you go - let's have a picture of the other end/connection of that old bit of mains lead.
Old 25th May 2018, 6:59 pm   #48
The Wrong Era
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
I know I queried why you would want to remove the front panel? There's little point in doing this (and risking damage) because if you intend the spray clean the balance potentiometer, you will need to access this from the rear of the unit. The whole chassis in this goes in from behind. By all means spray the Balance control (with Servisol) but there's little point in you doing this until the pick up wiring on that tag card is made good as you will only ever hear one channel anyway until it's sorted. Having done this, you can move on to the next stage......
I didn't mean the actual front panel - there is a length of protective plastic - I want to say perspex but I'll probably be whipped and dragged through the mud for saying it's a material that wasn't in use at the time of production :')
Anyways there is a piece of hard plastic that protects the actual front panel - after the screws the only thing that would be holding to the panel is the orange plastic lamp cover - I just wanted to remove this as there is some dirt and such around that area... sorry i should have made it clearer from the get go.
Many thanks
Old 25th May 2018, 7:03 pm   #49
The Wrong Era
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techman View Post
Before you go - let's have a picture of the other end/connection of that old bit of mains lead.
As I have stated previously this player is currently stored away and I am unable to fully get to it (the pictures i have previously posted were taken before hand - which is why I missed the model number on the sticker )
I also wish to have a break from this forum and come back when everything is not so OTT.

Many thanks.
Old 25th May 2018, 7:07 pm   #50
Techman
Dekatron

That's OK then, come back when you're ready.
Old 25th May 2018, 7:24 pm   #51
Station X

I'll close this thread for the moment. If the OP wants it reopened he has only to ask.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread