UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Jul 2017, 6:01 pm   #1
Radio Wrangler

Default Tek 2465A smoke

The boss' pet oscilloscope did the Rifa capacitor thing the other day. There was a general smell of burning paper in the lab and folk were looking for the source for a while. Finally the scope gave the game away visually.

No RCDs tripped, so I guess i'll go looking for a class-X paper capacitor, probably of a well known make, though they don't have a monopoly.

Is it just a case of taking the Torx screws out and removing the plastic back panel, or are there any things to beware of in opening one of these?

David
Old 17th Jul 2017, 6:33 pm   #2
chriswood1900
Octode

Default Re: Tek 2465A smoke

David
Its been awhile since I opened one but I think you will find the 2 X class caps buried inside on the A2 PSU board, there may also be some on the A3 board.
Chris
Old 17th Jul 2017, 10:22 pm   #3
mhennessy
Dekatron

If you haven't already stumbled across it, this thread will help: http://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgea...cope-teardown/

We've had a couple go up at work. It was the input mains filter. Sadly, they didn't write them off as BER, so they lived to fight another day. I'll be waiting for them
Old 17th Jul 2017, 10:43 pm   #4
MrBungle
Dekatron

Is that a Schaffner filter? I've seen them make a really bad mess inside an HP digital scope. Replace on sight material.
Old 17th Jul 2017, 10:56 pm   #5
mhennessy
Dekatron

Yup - the usual
Old 20th Jul 2017, 2:23 pm   #6
Radio Wrangler

Two Rifa 0.068uF X2 jobbies (in the Scots meaning!) One definitely no longer of this mortal coil.

The boss orders a pack of 5 from RS, carefully choosing Kemet as he didn't fancy more of the old type.

RS parcel arrives.... shiny new golden Rifas! The comedy wasn't lost on him.

Scope going again. Getting the outer case back on was the worst bit

Thanks, all.

David
Old 20th Jul 2017, 4:19 pm   #7
MrBungle
Dekatron

Ah yes I got bit by that. Had no idea Kemet had bought them out until I'd paid for some. They should be good for 10 years or so. Stick a label on the back "replace X2's by 2027" or something. Being a 2465, one of the hybrids will probably blow up before then
Closed Thread