UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Sep 2015, 3:36 pm   #1
Alvin
Heptode

Default Money For Nothing - BBC1 Yesterday Afternoon

This programme features an expert intercepting people dumping stuff at a recycling centre with the aim of obtaining 3 items which she could restore or have restored and sell on with any profit going back to the original owner.

One of the items on yesterday's programme was a very tidy looking Bush DAC90A which the owner was dumping saying they are worth £150 when working!

Anyway the presenter whisked it away and took it to a vintage electronics restorer called Horse (I kid you not!) in Manchester who stripped the chassis replacing the radio components with a home built valve amp with inputs for MP3/Mobile Phone and Guitar.

Sacrilege you might say but in his defence Horse did acknowledge that purists would be complaining with the rider that these sets are common enough for it not to matter.

He charged £300 for his work and she sold it on for £350 handing 50 quid to the owner who was dumping it!

The programme is available on iPlayer Money For Nothing Episode 4

Alvin
Old 12th Sep 2015, 3:55 pm   #2
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: Money For Nothing - BBC1 Yesterday Afternoon

I've seen this Alvin. It might even be a repeat of the series. Posh and fairly laughable up-cycling using the sort of presenter who is likely to get agreement from the items owner and who also has special permission from the re-cycling centre. There is usually a a "Don't try this [at home] ie at the Recycling Centre disclaimer. At least Kirsty Allsopp appears to to do some renovating in her similar show but no doubt also with plenty of back-up. Generally there appears be a good mark up in this activity without any of the dedicated hours put in by the restorer's on here. We know it's very much a different story for us at most RC's. "Horse" as a noun has a number of interesting interpretations, it's certainly a distinctive business title.
Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 12th Sep 2015 at 4:14 pm.
Old 12th Sep 2015, 4:35 pm   #3
Radio Wrangler

Whoever he was, it looks like he knew exactly how much to charge. Do I detect a bit of a put-up job?

David
Old 12th Sep 2015, 5:55 pm   #4
paulsherwin

This sort of moronic 'lifestyle' daytime show is usually semi scripted, but I didn't watch this example despite seeing a trail for it. I had a good idea what the outcome was going to be, and it wasn't a museum grade restoration of a design classic.
Old 13th Sep 2015, 12:19 am   #5
gary_crutchley
Heptode

Sounds interesting, I think I will take a look! Not that I am about to add MP3 to my DAC90a, why would you?

I like all of my vintage radios as they are, even with their odd little behaviours and interference. If you want DAB quality sound, best to get a DAB radio in my humble opinion.
Old 13th Sep 2015, 2:20 am   #6
julie_m
Dekatron

Well, as there's now one less original DAC90A out there, they're all now worth a little bit more!

There's a definite whiff of scripting about these sorts of programmes, though. For instance, in Storage Hunters, everything just seems to work as soon as they "just sort out some power" -- even found vehicles seem to be drivable! But even the broadcasters themselves probably will admit, these shows are more about entertainment value than technical accuracy, and some items will be deliberately "sexed up" to appeal to the majority.
Old 13th Sep 2015, 6:23 am   #7
Radio Wrangler

So, I could build up a collection of DAC90s, break into the DAC90 room at Fort Knox with a stolen atomic oooh-nasty and make all theirs radioactive for centuries, thereby increasing the value of mine?

I think there was more money in the film rights than if anyone did it Besides, there's that pesky Bond guy to handle.

David
Old 13th Sep 2015, 8:49 am   #8
sp10mk11
Octode

When I worked on re-cycling centres and the BBC or some other radio company came on site we were scripted and told to just answer the questions:
Your name
How long you had worked there
what sort of waste came in and where it went

DO NOT MAKE ANY COMMENTS!

Or of course tell the truth about certain aspects of council re-cycling

It was a joke, all so Devon County Council could look good

Gary
Old 13th Sep 2015, 8:55 am   #9
Alvin
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary_crutchley View Post
Sounds interesting, I think I will take a look! Not that I am about to add MP3 to my DAC90a, why would you?
Adding an MP3 input to a radio is one thing but in this case the radio was completely stripped out and replaced with an amp.

Alvin
Old 13th Sep 2015, 9:14 am   #10
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Time to unsaddle the horse I think..J.
Old 13th Sep 2015, 9:53 am   #11
gary_crutchley
Heptode

I watched it, the programme seemed contrived to me. Did you see that sewing machine? It was immaculate, why would anyone be taking that to the tip? I suspect the items selected for restoration/reuse are pre-selected. Not surprising I guess.
Old 13th Sep 2015, 10:38 am   #12
Radio Wrangler

Great grandma's sewing machine would have been the most expensive thing in a family once upon a time, and Singer etc made good protective cases for them. Many of those turning up will have been kept in beautiful condition, so I don't find that suspicious.

The 'radio restorer' doesn't come over badly. His real name was given first time round, then the TV people latched onto his nickname. His equipment setup seems rather sparse, though. It was the presenter who brought up the subject of working from mobile phones, but I suppose in the markets they're going to be selling in, that's what will fetch money.

It looked like an ECC82-EL84 went in. Is twisted, cotton covered mains flex still legitimate?

David
Old 13th Sep 2015, 10:10 pm   #13
gary_crutchley
Heptode

You can still buy braided cotton mains flex that meets modern regulations. See here:

http://www.urbancottageindustries.co...arch_style=105

I noticed at the start when they were discussing the DAC90a, there was another radio on the shelf behind Horse. It was Bakelite and a Bush, might have been another DAC90a, but I can't be sure.

Gary
Old 13th Sep 2015, 11:33 pm   #14
Oldcodger
Nonode

Meanwhile ,down at the tip ,there's a sign saying it's illegal to take anything out, but since these places have come into private ownership ,the decent stuff gets "recycled", if the on site shop can sell it. But he lads in there don't see any advantage. When the tips were under LA control, you could get almost anything you wanted for a small fee. Want a pair of second hand gates for the drive- yours for a tenner. Know the right folks in there and you'd get an immaculate pair for that. Brush off the loose rust, coat of Hammer rite and as good as new. Mind you I suspect he wives of those working in the tip were pleased as from my info, most of them(blokes working on tip) were like magpies -if it looked good, they'd save it ,hoping to find it a new owner. Personally, I saw bits of this program and all I saw was "Sacrilege". WHY gut out a possibly good working radio to make just an amp. the radio would have had a decent amp .it'd be minutes work (even if radio was beyond redemption, to add an amp input or two to the audio stage.Some old radios had this facility from factory, and most were designed for hi fi of day (not of today's standard),but certainly better than that from some IC circuit with a tin pot speaker.
Old 13th Sep 2015, 11:44 pm   #15
emeritus
Dekatron

I think you are OK as long as it goes straight from the intended dumper to you. If the dumper has actually put it in a bin, then it is no longer his property but has become the property of the dump owners, so you would then have to ask them.
Old 13th Sep 2015, 11:58 pm   #16
AC/HL
Dekatron

We've been round this particular merry-go-round before, to no conclusion, except that it is site specific and out of our control.
Please keep to the thread topic.
Old 16th Sep 2015, 6:41 pm   #17
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

"A Man Called Horse" was at it again today converting a Tool Box into a multi purpose Audio Tool Box with Speakers, I Pod Docking and a Blue Tooth remote replay facility.
His work is seems to be of a good standard and there was a large battery fitted that should have a fairly long life but £350 was spent on the "up-cycle" and this time, no purchasers at the close of play( Looking at the house type, it's my guess that he could be in New Age Chorlton. If so that should be a perfect location for trendy buyers.

I don't know how he got his name, having described himself as a "Nerd" and being very mild mannered, not a hell raising Richard Harris at all. It occurred to me that we may be in a bit of a Radiogram stripping sceanario here, given current low prices for a lot of items at auction. On the other hand, maybe Forum Members could benefit. It will all depend on personal attitude I suppose
Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 16th Sep 2015 at 6:48 pm.
Old 16th Sep 2015, 8:56 pm   #18
Radio Wrangler

Yipes, that means £150 dearer than a new Roberts Colourstream which can do a selection of other things.

David
Old 16th Sep 2015, 9:28 pm   #19
paulsherwin

This sort of stuff sells to poseurs and fashion victims - they don't buy for rational reasons. I suppose it all helps to keep the economy going.
Old 16th Sep 2015, 11:09 pm   #20
Alvin
Heptode

BBC Website says, 'Mark "Horse" Phillips has a decade of experience as Chief Engineer at one of the only manufacturers of high-end, valve-based recording equipment in the world. Through his creations he succeeds in recreating a unique and authentic old-school sound. He fits the Money For Nothing mold perfectly with his passionate work ethic.. "No job too old, or weird".

There is a link to Horse's website http://www.theampwhisperer.co.uk/ which is rather sparse but clicking on his Facebook & Twitter links there brings up pics of the aforementioned radio & tool box.

Alvin
Closed Thread