UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Jul 2017, 9:04 pm   #1
osx86apple
Pentode

Default Restuffing cans

Hello all, I apologise in advance for a question that's been asked before, however I'm currently in midst of restoration on a Decca 101 television and wishing to restuff the line output capacitor. It's a nice looking tcc can sitting on top of the chassis and would like the top to look as original as possible, anyone had a good method of Restuffing these?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170711_215315_588.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	146154  
Old 13th Jul 2017, 9:13 pm   #2
mark pirate
Dekatron

Default Re: Restuffing cans

I saw them open where the Bakelite joins the aluminium base, best to wear rubber gloves when handling these things as they reputedly contain an oil that could be hazardous to your health!

Once cleaned out, I fit the new cap inside and glue the base back on with Araldite.
Hope this helps

Mark
Old 14th Jul 2017, 9:38 am   #3
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

I've never taken one of these apart. How are they made?

It looks like the top of the aluminium base is rolled down over the top of a wider-diameter 'flange' on the Bakelite, so obviously not easy to dismantle without cutting or sawing or grinding somewhere.

Andy
Old 14th Jul 2017, 9:53 am   #4
JacKam_
Pentode

osx86apple, could you unscrew any nuts and send more pictures from different angles ?
A better light would help too.

J
Old 14th Jul 2017, 1:27 pm   #5
Freya
Octode

File around the edge of the inside edge of aluminium collar all the way around as indicated in picture, then put nut on and hold nut in a vice, press the brown top sideways and the whole top will unpop. the oil is inert as used to store reactive metals so is harmless and proved by a lab about 3 years ago.
The new capacitor can be fitted inside with a couple of holes in either end for the leadout wires. the tidy way of opening can be glued using super glue on the cork seal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	capacitor.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	146181  
Old 17th Jul 2017, 2:26 pm   #6
osx86apple
Pentode

Thanks for the help, now successfully sorted
Closed Thread