UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Jul 2017, 10:14 pm   #1
els1967
Pentode

Default GPO 312 experiments

With a shared service, the n diagram shows a connection to earth so the bells ring. When I try this (as in a earth back to a local plug socket) nothing happens. An ohms reading between the phone line and the "house" earth is around 90k so I guess there is some sort of connection.

Maybe it's something to do with the isolating transforming in my small PBX?

Any idea's anyone?

http://www.samhallas.co.uk/repositor.../0000/N412.pdf

Thanks
Old 4th Jul 2017, 12:02 am   #2
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Default Re: GPO 312 experiments

It depends on what you are trying to achieve.
The ringing current on your exchange line will be across the pair, and not from one leg wrt earth.
The idea that a PBX extension might support a shared service is an interesting one, It's not something I have ever seen.

20 odd years ago I encountered earth-start exchange lines on a PABX, but the functional earth was just needed to seize the line, the ringing was across the pair.
I have no idea why they were ground-start, they were a PITA and I nearly condemned them as dead lines, until one of them burst into life with an incoming call.

Have a thought for the "holes and poles" guys when experimenting near power sockets.
Old 4th Jul 2017, 9:35 am   #3
AndiiT
Octode

Hi, I'm not too clued up on shared service or earth start lines but there is some information here on different ways of seizing a phone line http://www.britishtelephones.com/exchline.htm

I am aware that a standard phone line pair does not have either the A or B legs connected to true earth, the B leg should sit at around -42 to -48 volts above earth potential and the A leg is around +5 Volts above earth which I suspect is derived from a common current source at the exchange end.

Earth calling, and ringing current return, was used on shared service (party) lines where one station was rung on the A leg and earth and the other on the B leg and earth; The exchange being seized by earthing either the A or B leg depending on which subscriber wished to use the line.

Looking at the information in Bobs Telephone file (link above) earth calling was used on PBX lines to prevent call collision i.e. where a line could be seized at the same moment as an incoming call arrived.

Although not 100% certain I think that you can still connect a telephone bell across the B leg of the line and earth and it will ring on an incoming call, don't forget that there should be a capacitor in series with the bell, it's not a good idea to directly earth a telephone line.

By earth I mean a physical earth in to the ground and not the house mains earth which is effectively bonded to neutral once it gets back out in to the real world.

Regards

Andrew

Last edited by AndiiT; 4th Jul 2017 at 9:42 am.
Old 4th Jul 2017, 1:35 pm   #4
Pellseinydd
Heptode

You'll find the specification for what is on a single BT PSTN line at http://www.sinet.bt.com/sinet/SINs/pdf/351v4p7.pdf

I'm sure I remember some years ago, a notice going out that the 'ringing' was no longer 'earthed' . It is many years ago since the old 'shared service' system was in use - replaced by WB900 1+1 analogue carrier system that was later replaced by 'DACS' Digital Access Carrier System. Hence the 'earthed ringing' of the old 'shared service' facility is no longer needed.
Old 4th Jul 2017, 1:41 pm   #5
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post
<SNIP>
The idea that a PBX extension might support a shared service is an interesting one, It's not something I have ever seen.
<SNIP>
Never come across 'shared service' on a PABX in 60 years but it certainly existed on PAXs. I've got the circuitry somewhere.. Virtually the same as the old GPO 'common metering' shared service which didn't have separate meters for the two subs. Hence no 'Call Exchange' button on the phone.
Old 4th Jul 2017, 8:11 pm   #6
els1967
Pentode

Thanks for the input everyone. I tried disconnected the earth and bonding at my main earth terminal and connecting a wire to the gas bonding clamp to see if I could get a decent "earth rod" type of earth but alas it still doesn't work. I connected the legs, each in turn, to the T8 and my "earth" to T2 and no bells on either. I'm a qualified sparky so don't worry, I know what I'm doing (I think) lol.

I was, more than anything, curious to see if I could get the shared service working on one of the lines on my PBX, just out of curiosity really. Shame it doesn't seem to work. I wonder what the GPO had done differently.
Closed Thread