UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Jul 2017, 8:18 am   #21
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Default Re: Rubber Bench Mat

I rather like the smell of new rubber, reminds me of the old coal lorries.

Peter
Old 6th Jul 2017, 6:30 pm   #22
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

I have just found out that Robert Dyas sell what they call a "Non-Slip Mat" by Rolson at £1.43. It is made from PVC and measures 30cm x 150cm, but can be cut to size. It looks like it could be a nice bench-mat, so I bought one (Poundland didn't have any).
Colin.
Old 6th Jul 2017, 6:36 pm   #23
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

I still have and use my 2 Phillips bench mats.They are good no doubt but whether they ever turn up for sale I do not know.
Old 6th Jul 2017, 7:39 pm   #24
Andrewausfa
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinTheAmpMan1 View Post
I have just found out that Robert Dyas sell what they call a "Non-Slip Mat" by Rolson at £1.43. It is made from PVC and measures 30cm x 150cm, but can be cut to size. It looks like it could be a nice bench-mat, so I bought one (Poundland didn't have any).
Colin.
Wilkinsons also stock these or a very similar product, which I bought some while ago. My thoughts were they're great for protecting a cabinet on the bench, final assembly etc.being soft and compressible but for the rough and tumble world of equipment disassembly and repair I went back to my rubber car mat.

Andrew
Old 6th Jul 2017, 10:42 pm   #25
G0HZU_JMR
Dekatron

Quote:
I rather like the smell of new rubber, reminds me of the old coal lorries.
I guess it depends on how strong the smell is A few years ago I bought a pair of green rubber ESD mats from Farnell. These were branded 'Multicomp'. They looked really nice on the Farnell website but I knew there was a problem the moment I unpacked them. The new rubber felt cold and clammy and it stank. It was so bad I could smell the mats from downstairs and each time I went up the stairs the smell got slowly stronger, step by step. It was so bad it meant sleeping with the workroom door open was impossible.

I ended up putting both mats by the boiler for many months to try and cure the smell away. This was a success and the mats lost all of their rubber smell. They also lost their cold and clammy feel and they are good to work with now. Very tolerant of abuse from a soldering iron and easy to keep clean.
Old 6th Jul 2017, 11:50 pm   #26
Tim
Dekatron

I have a square of carpet sample obtained from any old carpet place for the bench to prevent scratching etc.
I use a rubber car mat too sometimes if I need something more insulating.