UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Oct 2014, 11:15 pm   #41
Maarten
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips 22CS1002/05T TV

K30 and 105W seem about right, though this might be peak power consumption instead of average, so measure it anyway.
Old 8th Oct 2014, 11:59 am   #42
Eidolon
Hexode

thanks, it's kind of what i expected. My Sony 40" LED uses 66w, and my 14" Panasonic CRT (1990ish model) uses 57w. I figured out from this it would probably use by far the most.
Old 8th Oct 2014, 12:45 pm   #43
Maarten
Dekatron

Come to think of it, 105W is not that high anyway. The succesors (K40, 2A, 2B, etc) used less than 100 watts but (let's say) a 30W difference is less than what you can obtain by using a CCFL lamp instead of incandescent.

More modern 100Hz and widescreen TV's also used about 100W as do many LCD sets.
Old 2nd Jul 2015, 5:02 pm   #44
Eidolon
Hexode

Default Re: Philips 22CS1002/05T TV. A few queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
Possibly a bit like this one, which is attached to a late 1970s G11-chassis model
How did I miss this picture link before today? Wish I'd seen it before.
That was the exact model of TV we had back in the day, and what I was originally hoping to find when I started trying to get a retro set. Saying that I'm happy with the TV I have now, and will soon have a stand to go with it
Old 8th May 2017, 11:10 am   #45
Eidolon
Hexode

Default Philips 22CS1002/05T TV. Vertical lines on screen

Hi again.
Back to this set. When I had it had three or four vertical lines on the far left of the screen. Not solid lines, but more a case of brightness/contrast variation strips, of that makes sense. The black level on the far left of the screen also seems much deeper than the rest of the screen.

Over the last couple of years these lines have been spreading. There are now some on the right of the screen, and those from the left have reached the centre of the screen. They're not burned in as they fade somewhat as the set's been on for a while. They can wobble to. Two of them are much thicker than the rest and they seem evenly spaced.

I have had a quick service on the set to deal with a few things, but he didn't know how to deal with this, and it's getting to be a really annoying problem now. Does anyone here by any chance know what this might be and how it can be dealt with?

Also, despite the service I have a problem with vhs tapes often still jumping, played via the VCR channel 8. Any ideas?

Thanks very much for any help
Old 8th May 2017, 11:24 am   #46
MALC SCOTT
Octode

Default Re: Philips 22CS1002/05T TV. Vertical lines on screen

The 4.7mfd 250v ht smoothing cap which feeds the RGB o/p needs replacing.
Old 8th May 2017, 2:23 pm   #47
Eidolon
Hexode

Default Re: Philips 22CS1002/05T TV. Vertical lines on screen

Thanks for the help. Is this something I can obtain easily, or get repaired? It's not something I know anything about
Old 10th May 2017, 12:26 pm   #48
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

You can easily obtain one - I've got one in my hand and I could pop it in the post for the price of a stamp if you PM me your address.
Fitting it's not a problem if you can use a soldering iron.
Glyn
Old 14th May 2017, 10:58 am   #49
Eidolon
Hexode

That's great, very appreciated
Old 14th May 2017, 11:21 am   #50
Eidolon
Hexode

Going back to something else, does anybody know why the image might be jumping a lot when i play VHS tapes? It doesn't do it all the time, and it seems more prone to doing it on some tapes than others for some reason. I am using the dedicated VCR/8 channel on the set.
I watched an old Kenny Everett tape last night and it jumped for the entire duration.
I am using a modern Panasonic VHS/DVD/HDD machine to watch it on, which is passed through an old VHS machine (tape deck in this one doesn't work) to convert the Scart from the Panasonic into an analogue RF signal for the TV to receive. I don't know if there's somehow some kind of problem becuase of the way it's connected up.
Old 14th May 2017, 8:36 pm   #51
AidanLunn
Heptode

Most TVs of this era do this, as they expect a more reliable frame sync pulse than the VCR can feed it.

FWIW, I've found that older VHS machines are better at playing back videotapes. A 1983 JVC played back some tapes much better than a mid-2000s Sony I tried previously. The Sony had a really bad case of the "vertical holds".

But otherwise it will just be a case of putting up with it.

Not that I like VHS now anyway, I don't feel sorry for the demise of the VCR.
Old 14th May 2017, 10:02 pm   #52
Maarten
Dekatron

The TV is from the videorecorder era and is prepared h-sync wise on the last preset (v-sync wasn's that big a problem then so I don't know why it should be a problem now). Maybe the v-sync from the recorder isn't as good as it should be. I remember some tape path alignments also have some influence on that.
Old 21st May 2017, 1:30 am   #53
Eidolon
Hexode

the machine i'm using is a fairly recent Panasonic EX99v vhs/dvd/hdd combo. best vhs player ive ever seen, it has incredible damage filters on it that remove pretty bad lines from the tapes, even some of my worst look clean in this. i'm surprised if it isn't up to spec for this issue on the jumping.
i also have a j-35 from the early 90's which is a very good machine, but at the moment it seems to be having trouble putting the tape back in the cassette at eject, and so the tape gets damaged. i am planning on getting it fixed and added to the room alongside the ex99v. maybe it won't be prone to the jumping issue?
Old 21st May 2017, 9:11 pm   #54
ben
Dekatron

A classic symptom of a TV set that hadn't had the timing adjusted for VCR operation was what was known as 'flag waving' - the top third of the picture would 'tear' horizontally to the right and jitter.
If what you have is jumping on the vertical, I'd be looking at a tape path problem on the VCR. Either try the VCR on a known good CRT TV or borrow or buy a second VCR to try on your Philips set. That way you can narrow this down.
Old 22nd May 2017, 8:02 am   #55
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

The excellent K30 series has no problem playing back tapes from practically any VCR. I never experienced the slightest problem and had many customers with them. There may be an incompatibility problem with the very late VCR.

I had a K30 on display at the museum during 'TV Day' last year. It coped very well with VHS tapes that had been recorded over 30 years ago. The VCR was Ferguson FV26D. [JVC]

Might be worth checking to see if the 'VCR' position on the K30 is in fact operational. If I recall correctly the manual versions had an additional mechanical switch on the selector unit. J.
Old 23rd May 2017, 10:47 pm   #56
Eidolon
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
A classic symptom of a TV set that hadn't had the timing adjusted for VCR operation was what was known as 'flag waving' - the top third of the picture would 'tear' horizontally to the right and jitter.
the set does this on the normal channels, but not the dedicated vcr channel

Quote:
If what you have is jumping on the vertical, I'd be looking at a tape path problem on the VCR. Either try the VCR on a known good CRT TV or borrow or buy a second VCR to try on your Philips set. That way you can narrow this down.
i have a portable CRT set in the attic thats hooked up to a rather rubbish Samsung vhs/dvd machine, but has never exhibited any problems. i'll try it with the machine hooked up in the front room to see what happens
Old 24th May 2017, 9:24 pm   #57
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
The excellent K30 series has no problem playing back tapes from practically any VCR. I never experienced the slightest problem and had many customers with them. There may be an incompatibility problem with the very late VCR.
There might be just one exception. Very early (and I mean VERY early) K30's (and KT3's) used an early version of the sync panel (it's so long ago I don't remember the number of the chip used...was it TDA2571?) and this gave a false frame lock on channel change just for a fraction of a second. These early versions could also give a frame jitter with some VCRs even on the dedicated channel. The sync board was modified with a later chip (same number but ending in B) which cured all the problems.
Old 25th May 2017, 9:52 am   #58
Eidolon
Hexode

I've tried the vcr/dvd machine hooked up to the portable tv from upstairs, using the last tape i watched that jumped, and i had no problems with the portable tv. no jumping.

So it looks like it's the Philips tv. Alternatively, it could i suppose be the Aiwa VHS that i am using to convert the Panasonic's Scart output to RF. I plugged the portable in direct from the Panasonic's Scart. I couldnt do a test with the RF cable out from the Aiwa due to difficulties getting to the wiring behind the cabinet.

I have noticed though that there seems to be a tendency towards older tapes to jump. Early 'pre-cert' era tapes, such as the Kenny Everett one I was just watching are much more prone to it.
I do know that the Panasonic seems to have some issues with stereo hi-fi tapes if they're a bit worn, and the sound keeps bouncing back and forth between mono linear and hi-fi as it goes along. unfortunately it doesnt seem to have an option to default to the linear track. But i still don't think that the vcr is directly responsible for the jumping. Maybe some of the tapes aren't as good quality and the tv has trouble holding onto the signal or something.
Other possibility is that it might be something with the tuning on the tv. Tuning this is is extremely precise, and i have to alter the tuning frequently so i can switch between the vcr and my Atari 2600. I will have to mod the tv in time with more than one VCR input channel, but until then its endlessly retuning. It does seem to have some issues withe the Atari too, where I get a lot of 'ghosting' on the image. Unless that's normal to the Atari, as this is a very early 'Ingersol' machine.
In time when my set-up is in proper order I will be abandonning the Aiwa and switching to a Scart switcher box, outputting to a Scart to RF modulator. I don't know if that might possibly stop the problem.
Old 19th Jun 2017, 11:01 am   #59
Eidolon
Hexode

Hmm, this is most peculiar.

I've not had a chnce to use the set much the last couple of weeks, and had retuned it for my Atari 2600 as I'd picked up a new game.

Lately i got the chance to watch a bit on the tv, so retuned it back to the VCR.
It's still jumping, but not as much. Symptoms seems to have changed. Now i get a flcikering across the top of the screen, about an inch in height, flickering white. It's not too bad, but it's distracting enough. Occasionally ther'es an odd bit of distortion as well.
Clearly something is not happy somewhere. Do these new developments help with a diagnosis at all?
Old 19th Jun 2017, 7:51 pm   #60
Maarten
Dekatron

Flickering across the top of the screen is typical for the sets flywheel sync trying to sync to an unstable signal (such as that from a video tape). This shouldn't happen is you use the last preset button (so called VCR channel).
Closed Thread