UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Old Yesterday, 1:52 pm   #41
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: First Radio Build - 12V HT system

There's three connections to the pot, the pot will have three tags, the center tag is the wiper (black arrow in the schematic) the two outer tags are the track (50k in the schematic) The regen pot in the schematic is configured as a potential divider, the track is connected across the supply, one end to the 12 volts +ve rail, the other end to chassis/ground rail which is also the -ve of the supply voltage. The slider connects to the 100k resistor.

Lawrence.
ms660 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 2:24 pm   #42
bobskie
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post
There's three connections to the pot, the pot will have three tags, the center tag is the wiper (black arrow in the schematic) the two outer tags are the track (50k in the schematic) The regen pot in the schematic is configured as a potential divider, the track is connected across the supply, one end to the 12 volts +ve rail, the other end to chassis/ground rail which is also the -ve of the supply voltage. The slider connects to the 100k resistor.

Lawrence.
Stupid mistake, I didn't see the 12V line somehow. I'll get a picture of the board up when I finish it.
bobskie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 6:32 pm   #43
bobskie
Tetrode

I wound the coil a second ago but some wires are crossed over and there are some gaps in between. Will this still work ok or should I start again?

Cameron
Old Yesterday, 8:58 pm   #44
julie_m
Dekatron

It'll probably work; but will you ever be truly happy, knowing you might have been able to wind that coil more neatly?

Don't rip your first effort apart, though; make a new former for your second attempt, just in case it's no better than the first.
Old Yesterday, 10:24 pm   #45
bobskie
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie_m View Post
It'll probably work; but will you ever be truly happy, knowing you might have been able to wind that coil more neatly?

Don't rip your first effort apart, though; make a new former for your second attempt, just in case it's no better than the first.
That's true, I'll give it another go at some point but I'll probably just test it out with this one. Winding that wire is a bit of a pain. I ended up breaking off the tap as well so I had to solder it back on, not a particularly neat job

Cameron
Old Today, 10:41 am   #46
bobskie
Tetrode

Another question! What are those connections on the valve like the ones with the number 9 that seemingly go nowhere? I have attached another diagram with a non transparent background.

Cameron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12au7regen.png
Views:	0
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	146562  
Old Today, 10:51 am   #47
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobskie View Post
Another question! What are those connections on the valve like the ones with the number 9 that seemingly go nowhere? I have attached another diagram with a non transparent background.

Cameron
That's because pin 9 isn't connected to anything when the heaters are connected for 12.6 volt operation.

Remember that the ECC82 valve heaters can be connected for 6.3 volt or 12.6 volt operation.

For 6.3 volt operation pins 4 and 5 are connected together, the heater supply is then connected to that connection and pin 9.

When connected for 12.6 volt operation the heater current will be half current that is drawn when they are connected for 6.3 volt operation:

http://www.r-type.org/pdfs/ecc82.pdf

Lawrence.
ms660 is online now   Reply With Quote