UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Old 16th Jul 2017, 4:54 pm   #61
6AL5W-Martin
Hexode

Default Re: Cheap multimeters

keep classic

but the English version made in Gloucester is not a VTVM, it is VVM

greetings
Martin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	im18it12im38.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	146279  
Old 16th Jul 2017, 5:42 pm   #62
MrBungle
Octode

I keep trying to buy Heathkit VVMs. Absolutely no luck so I've got half way through cloning one.

Nice collection BTW.
MrBungle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jul 2017, 7:01 am   #63
Arqiva BOC
Tetrode

Many thanks for the info. Im going to hold off ordering them just until after ive had chance to look for something higher spec 2nd hand at a couple of rallies (Finningley ARS rally this sunday - i'll have a small stall! [blatent plug])
Arqiva BOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jul 2017, 7:01 pm   #64
trh01uk
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by evingar View Post
I disagree.

White it's obviously the case that following the correct procedure minimises the risks greatly, a properly designed meter reduces the risk of dire consequences if you do something daft. Given that we all occasionally do daft things, this is a big deal !

Then there is the case of transients. Even if you are doing all the right procedural things, a transient can cause a Arc Flash. A properly designed meter reduces the risk substantially.
When I originally mentioned transients as a problem, I wasn't referring to "arc flashes". I was thinking of a fried meter. Or to be more accurate a totally dead chip inside the meter. I did investigate one such case, and I found buying a replacement chip would cost about four times more than just buying a new meter. Go figure.

And of course, I only surmise that transients were the cause of the demise of several meters. It typically happened while I had the meter hooked up to some part of a valve unit. And just after I had I flicked switch or two. The trouble with flicking switches is that the circuit configuration changes, and if that results in heavy current changes in large inductors, high voltage transients are a likely result. Valves just shrug off such transients - but modern ICs expire if they have no heavyweight protection circuits in place.

Of course the prices of the units we are discussing are extremely low. Its more the annoyance factor I was thinking of. One moment you have a working test set up - the next one or more meters has departed this world. And you are left scurrying about for another one.......

Richard
trh01uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jul 2017, 3:12 pm   #65
6AL5W-Martin
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunel View Post
Huge display, great for us oldtimers.
Philips Oldie PM2517E (I don`t like LCD)

http://www.wellenkino.de/181/25a.jpg

greetings
Martin
Old 19th Jul 2017, 4:59 pm   #66
The Philpott
Hexode

Where the equipment has mains (or large enough batteries) red LED display takes some beating.

It's interesting how good the LCD contrast is on the toy DT830 variants. Good choice of segment size as well. Not suitable for high current or high voltage, as people have said, but on the plus side if you get one that wasn't made on a friday afternoon or in a shadow/clone factory they can be quite stable. Mine shows 2.05v on a DC source of 2.048v after 25 years use, but generally the test leads supplied should be discarded or donated to the fairies at the bottom of the garden as skipping ropes- they are no use for anything else. The LCD display really does not like a damp atmosphere, it goes crazy like a schoolboy's calculator that's been thrown across the room once too often.

One nice simple (and presumably cheap) hand-held is the DT3266L. I found mine in a skip but have yet to find any leads for it. It's more steered towards electricians than electronics engineers so is fairly basic in it's functions. I keep meaning to check if the clamp function works on DC- some of them have a hall effect sensor i think..
The Philpott is offline   Reply With Quote