UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Jul 2017, 8:40 am   #1
David Pannell
Retired Dormant Member

Default Marantz CD-94 Mk1 compact disc player

Hi everyone,

Does anyone possess one of these superb CD players; and if so, has there been a problem with the disc drawer not staying closed?

Mine has recently developed such a fault, in that I have to press the open/close button several times before the drawer will stay shut, - regardless of whether there is a disc in the drawer or not. It closes, then re-opens again almost immediately.

I have replaced all the belts, as I thought one of the drives might be slipping, but it has made no difference.

Therefore I am wondering if something has either crept out of adjustment mechanically, or is occasionally sticking.

I'm happy to do some tweaking very gingerly, but if anyone has a definitive solution to this problem, I should be most grateful!

Cheers.
Old 19th Jul 2017, 9:13 am   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Marantz CD-94 Mk1 compact disc player

Hi Dave,

I don't know this particular machine, but if it's like most others of the same era then...

Is there a leaf switch which detects that the drawer is fully closed? If so, I would clean its contacts with a bit of card soaked in Servisol Super 10 switch cleaner.

Also, check the belts and the pulleys they run on are entirely de-greased.

N.
Old 19th Jul 2017, 10:01 am   #3
ukcol
Rest in Peace

This machine does indeed use a switch to detect that the draw has closed. If the draw closure completes mechanically but opens again immediately it is likely, as Nick suggests, that the switch contacts are dirty.
Old 19th Jul 2017, 10:21 am   #4
David Pannell
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks guys, I'll give it a shot, though having now looked at the operation of the mechanism in detail, though the drawer DOES close completely, the plastic/nylon cam on the drawer drive does not rotate completely to the detent position!

The new belts are tight and definitely are not slipping, and the pulleys etc. are completely free of any grease or lubricant.

If I give it a gentle 'helping hand', it rotates completely and the 'cam follower' then sits properly in the cam detent.

Any further thoughts!

Cheers.
Old 19th Jul 2017, 12:05 pm   #5
Grubhead
Heptode

Could be some muck or some slight damage to the cam. A Servisol spray should clean away any debris.
Perhaps some silicone grease might help it move normally?
Old 19th Jul 2017, 12:57 pm   #6
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

OK then, I would clean the belts and pulleys with IPA initially.

Are the new belts man enough for the job, or are they thinner than the originals?

N.
Old 19th Jul 2017, 1:12 pm   #7
Beobloke
Heptode

I have one of these superb machines and they are notoriously finicky when it comes to the drawer loading belts.

If you have replaced all yours and are also confident that they are now nice and snug and not slipping, then your best bet is to strip the mechanism completely, clean all the old grease off the cogs and re-assemble with new lubricant. I had to do this with mine about 10 years ago and it has been fine ever since.
Old 19th Jul 2017, 1:56 pm   #8
Leon Crampin
Octode

I'm not familiar with this machine but it appears to be of similar vintage to my Philips CD104. I had the same problem with this machine, namely that the drawer would not fully close.

After eliminating tray drive friction, slipping loading belt and intermittent limit switches, I examined the motor. There was a migration of lubricant onto the commutator from the adjacent bearing, causing a high resistance and hence low motor torque.

A clean up of the commutator and brushes effected a permanent fix.

Leon.
Closed Thread