UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Feb 2010, 11:17 am   #1
st helena
Retired Dormant Member

Cool Dansette Conquest record-player (non-auto)

Hi!,
Just a quick question. On the 'Dansette Conquest record-player' Stylus Cartridge there are two wires "One Black" & One Red" and there are two points on the back of the Stylus Cartridge; one point in the Middle & one on the outside. Which wire goes where Please? as they were loose.
Thank You!

Last edited by Darren-UK; 8th Feb 2010 at 10:46 pm. Reason: Ridiculous amount of exclamation marks removed.
Old 6th Feb 2010, 11:20 am   #2
Audio1950
Dekatron

Default Re: Dansette Conquest record-player (non-auto)

Hi
If there are only two pins on the cartridge, it doesn't matter which wire goes on which pin.

Barry
Old 6th Feb 2010, 1:10 pm   #3
st helena
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Barry,
Thank You for your help!!

Last edited by Brian R Pateman; 6th Feb 2010 at 1:52 pm. Reason: Text format.
Old 8th Feb 2010, 3:11 pm   #4
st helena
Retired Dormant Member

Cool Re: Dansette Conquest record-player (non-auto)

Hi,
I've service and cleaned a " Dansette Conquest record-player (non-auto) " but I have found there is no sound coming from the Stylus and Cartridge. The Info on the Stylus Cartridge says as follows: ful-fi TC8s(M) & TC8(G) & TC8RS, are the later 2 Styluses.

I'm trying to find a shop that sells these Cartridges or is there an Replacement Cartridge that I can use instead? The Cartridge by a screw on top of the Stylus Cartridge, plus the brown rubber turntable mat is old and it is breaking up due to its age.

Is there anywhere I can buy a replacement? Can any kind person help me please? I enclose some photos of my "Dansette Conquest record-player (non-auto) " before the service and clean. Plus some pictures of its Cartridge.

Thank You.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2010_0205FredsRecordPlayer0009.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	32412   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010_0205FredsRecordPlayer0015.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	32413   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010_0205FredsRecordPlayer0016.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	32414   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010_0205FredsRecordPlayer0014.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	32415  

Last edited by Darren-UK; 8th Feb 2010 at 10:49 pm. Reason: Ridiculous amount of exclamation marks removed, plus general tidying.
Old 8th Feb 2010, 3:26 pm   #5
AndiiT
Octode

Hi,
One of the Ronette cartridges of the type shown Here should be a good substitute for a TC8 and will also maintain the cosmetic aspect for the player.

I have just noticed that the original cartridge in you Dansette is a TC8S, which is the Stereo version of the TC8 and as such should have three pins and not two as you have already mentioned. Looking at the cartridge it appears that one of the connecting pins has corroded off.

Regards
Andrew

Last edited by AndiiT; 8th Feb 2010 at 3:30 pm. Reason: additional information about cartrdige added
Old 8th Feb 2010, 3:59 pm   #6
st helena
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Andrew,
Yes! the back of the Cartridge as a white wire going from one of the outer points to the other outer point & one in the Middle, it was like that when we got the Player! and Thanks again.
Old 8th Feb 2010, 9:52 pm   #7
Audio1950
Dekatron

As this deck, which is a BSR TU9, is now about 50 years old, I doubt if you will find a replacement turntable mat very easily. However, you could put a request in the "Wanted and Offered" section of this forum. Maybe someone has a scrap deck hidden away somewhere!

Barry
Old 8th Feb 2010, 11:23 pm   #8
AndiiT
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by st helena View Post
....Yes! the back of the Cartridge as a white wire going from one of the outer points to the other outer point & one in the Middle.....
The link that you mention suggests that the TC8S fitted may not even be the original cartridge as if the deck had been intended to have a Stereo cartridge fitted "from new", as it were, there would be at least three wires in the tone arm (Left channel, Right channel and Common Ground)

Is it possible that he whole deck may have been changed at some point? as the references I have to the Dansette Conquest all show a BSR UA8 Autochanger fitted to them.

The BSR TU9 deck would most likely have originally been fitted with a mono TC8 cartridge.

There may be a company on eBay who sell mats for your deck, try a search there.

Andrew
Closed Thread