UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Oct 2010, 6:44 pm   #1
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

Default "6202" brand valves

I have some valves which are marked and packed in boxes, labelled "6202".

I assume that this was a distributor who bought and packed them.
Am I correct, and if so, does anyone have any information on who/what/when/why etc.
Old 2nd Oct 2010, 6:51 pm   #2
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: "6202" brand valves

The only other thing is if they all look the same type,they could be a commercial valve.

David
Old 2nd Oct 2010, 7:00 pm   #3
Dual Standard
Hexode

How about this?

http://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_6202.html

Mike
Old 2nd Oct 2010, 7:13 pm   #4
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)

Hi,
It's the first time I've seen a valve characteristic table include altitude (60,000ft.)!
Cheers de Pete
Old 2nd Oct 2010, 8:28 pm   #5
mosfetmaniac
Tetrode

It's a mil-spec tube so it's probably rated for aircraft use I guess.
Old 2nd Oct 2010, 8:58 pm   #6
Station X

Can a valve lose its vacuum at 60,000 feet? Won't a valve be under less stress at that height with less atmospheric pressure trying to crush it?

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 2nd Oct 2010, 9:20 pm   #7
XTC
Retired Dormant Member

I've got a couple of valves in 6202 packages. Both are CV types as it happens.

I've no information on the company or the brand. By the mid 60s there were several companies buying valves from various sources, Iron Curtain countries, manufacturers surplus/seconds and marketing them under their own brands

Zaerix brand from Z&I Aero Services is the best known, but there were several others such as Standard Brand, Pinnacle, El Pico, Selectron etc. Z&I, Colomore and Bentley Acoustic Corporation used to advertise in the radio amateur and electronics mags. Pinnacle were more targeted at the TV service trade.

I imagine that 6202 was yet another outfit operating in the same way.
Old 2nd Oct 2010, 9:40 pm   #8
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

I have a couple of valves in 6202 boxes like this:-

http://www.ominous-valve.com/images/6202.jpg

I guess it's just a U.K. distributor brand name.

Regards, Mick.
Old 2nd Oct 2010, 9:44 pm   #9
XTC
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
Can a valve lose its vacuum at 60,000 feet? Won't a valve be under less stress at that height with less atmospheric pressure trying to crush it?
It may be to do with the cooling and the resultant stresses placed on the envelope. Less air means less cooling by convection. It was tested to 60,000 ft equivalent and guaranteed to withstand that, but they either hadn't tested it at lower pressures, or had tested it and found there were problems.

Pete.

Last edited by XTC; 2nd Oct 2010 at 9:46 pm. Reason: grammar.
Old 2nd Oct 2010, 10:11 pm   #10
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

Yes, I believe 6202 were just another UK rebrander. I seem to recall that my first ever valve, a DF96, was a 6202 brand. They must have been one of the smaller rebranders as they are a lot less common nowadays than, say, Z&I or Pinnacle.
Old 2nd Oct 2010, 10:25 pm   #11
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

I have a few of these and wondered what "6202" might stand for, that would make it memorable as a valve dealer's trade mark. It doesn't reveal anything exciting when decoded using telephone dial letters, MAZA or OBZA perhaps, although it's coincidentally close to MAZDA (62032). Had it been a foreign firm the significance might not be so obvious to us.

Lucien
Old 2nd Oct 2010, 11:52 pm   #12
Sideband
Dekatron

Now this is interesting! Many many years ago when I was a mere lad working with pocket money, I used to go to a company called RST Valve Mail Order co. Ltd. They were in Sunnyhill Road in Streatham (South West London, SW16 to be precise). A lot of valves that they sold had 6202 stamped on them. This would have been mid-late 60's. Some time later, the company moved to Mitcham Lane and at some stage became Langrex Valve Mail Order Co. They were there for years until moving to Croydon and, recently, moved again.

There was a definate link between RST (the 6202 valves) and Langrex because when they were in Croydon, I used to go to their trade counter and there was an old RST valve list on the wall. Now whether RST used to rebrand the valves or whether they bought them from elswhere I'm not sure but that is definately where I bought new 6202 branded valves.

As most here know, Langrex are still flourishing and still supplying valves but I've not seen '6202' since those days in the 60's. Most likely 6202 was just a rebranded valve and probably supplied to many dealers including the original 'RST' company and presumably RST was later bought out by Langrex.

SB
Old 3rd Oct 2010, 2:57 am   #13
mosfetmaniac
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
It's probably more to do with the mil spec tube having cooling correction data available for high altitude use.
When using tubes at high altitude they are manufactured to require lower screen and plate voltages due to a higher chance of external arcing from the lower insulating properties of air at high altitude.

Something I read and retained for some strange reason...
Old 3rd Oct 2010, 3:53 pm   #14
sentinel040
Hexode

Location: Near Lichfield, Staffordshire, UK, most of the time and Crystal Palace, S London, some of the time..

Back in the late 70's I bought a couple of YL1130's from RST and they came marked as 6202 "brand"in 6202 printed boxes.

Ian
Old 3rd Oct 2010, 4:42 pm   #15
XTC
Retired Dormant Member

I don't recall that the RST ads in the rags made anything of the 6202 brand. Z&I and Colomore ads mentioned their brands. I have a hazy recollection of seeing some RST boxes as well.

If you were seriously in the business of selling valves which you'd bought in job lots from anywhere, it can't have cost a lot in the scheme of things to have some boxes printed up in two colours, and the valve type could be stamped on with a rubber stamp. Even washing off the printing on the valves and putting your own logo on can't have been that dear. Bentley went in for printed labels.

When you look at the business of marketing rather than making valves, it gets a very murky. For instance, Tungsram may have made valves at one stage, but they weren't in the BVA and were clearly into rebadging imports very early. I've got some Ferranti branded metal octals in Ferranti boxes. I don't believe metal octals were made outside the US and Canada until they were obsolete and they were made in the USSR.

Pete.
Old 3rd Oct 2010, 5:03 pm   #16
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

The telephone number of the distributor was CRO 6202. That is why it thus named. Black/red/white boxes. J.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA030052.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	41026  

Last edited by Heatercathodeshort; 3rd Oct 2010 at 5:09 pm.
Old 3rd Oct 2010, 5:26 pm   #17
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

Ahhh, so CROydon then.

I suspect that it may have been a "badging" operation by someone who also traded under another name. I wonder who else was in that area to whom that could apply?
Closed Thread