UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Sep 2020, 11:12 pm   #1
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Question HP 8640B brass gears

Whilst my 8640B is partially dismantled and undergoing a few repairs, seems to be good opportunity to replace the nylon / Delrin gears in the A9 freq. range / fm control ass'y., since although they are functional, there are cracks in them. I have heard that brass gears are available - but from whom and where? Is there a U.K. source?

Al.
Old 19th Sep 2020, 12:33 am   #2
MrBungle
Dekatron

Default Re: HP 8640B brass gears

Yes there's a guy in India selling them. I think a set is about 70 USD.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154054911606
Old 19th Sep 2020, 4:25 pm   #3
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Possibly:

sales@hpgears.com
www.hpgears.com
01246 268080

No connection with them, but 2 inch thick catalogue!

Please note that this information was from five years ago.
Old 19th Sep 2020, 4:54 pm   #4
Humber888
Heptode

Al, there is still a guy, I think, in the USA who makes new gear sets from brass and can be contacted via the HP/Agilent/Keysight test gear repair forum. They were very well made but pricey at maybe $300 a set. How bad is the cracking on your gears? If you only have minor radial cracks with no teeth missing, you might get away with using heat to relax the plastic sufficiently on the brass spindles to use Loctite All Plastics superglue to repair the cracks. This certainly worked on my 8640B. If you wish to discuss further, I am happy to do so by PM or phone.

Mike
Old 19th Sep 2020, 5:27 pm   #5
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: HP 8640B brass gears

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

When you have a problem such as this, it's always a good approach to investigate as many potential routes to a solution that you can find: the above suggestions are, therefore, apposite.

Many years ago, I did repair an 8640B for a friend that had this classic broken gear problem by using 'superglue', a.k.a. ethyl -2 cyanoacrylate adhesive: that 'repair' never came back; I kept in touch with the owner over a few subsequent years.
So, armed with that experience and result, that is the 'fix' I will now try. If that fails, one of the above suggestions will then be tried.

This problem is one of several that I have encountered in repairing this S.G.: other threads in this section refer, q.v. Hopefully, when (if?) all repairs are successful, I shall deliver a complete write-up. The intention of that will be simply to record what I did to fix said faults - the idea being to assist other owners of this S.G., which is rightfully popular.

Al.
Old 19th Sep 2020, 9:07 pm   #6
factory
Octode

These are the brass gears I have (still waiting to be fitted), now I've moved some of my test equipment into storage I now have enough room to actually work on the larger items of test gear including my 8640B.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1628a.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	216009

David
Old 19th Sep 2020, 9:11 pm   #7
Nymrod121
Nonode

Paul Koretko is the gentleman over in the States; I've spoken with him on the phone & he's still willing to supply. Happy to PM his contact email/phone number if needed.
Guy
Old 20th Sep 2020, 11:53 am   #8
Humber888
Heptode

IIRC, the plastic used for the gears is of the 'greasy' type that normal superglue does not bond well. That's why I mentioned the Loctite All Plastics version which really does work. Probably teaching you to suck eggs!
Old 20th Sep 2020, 12:52 pm   #9
Skywave
Rest in Peace

'Superglue': I didn't realise that there were so many variants made, all based on a common theme. The following extract from Wikipedia makes interesting reading . . .
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanoacrylate.

Al.
Old 22nd Sep 2020, 12:52 am   #10
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humber888 View Post
IIRC, the plastic used for the gears is of the 'greasy' type that normal superglue does not bond well. That's why I mentioned the Loctite All Plastics version which really does work. Probably teaching you to suck eggs!
That helpful post does deserve a response - supplementary to the general information revealed in my post immediately previous to this one.

But I know what you mean by 'greasy plastic'. My knowledge of chemistry & polymers etc. is not up to the required level to be more descriptive.
Consequently, you're not "teaching me how to suck eggs!" at all! [How did that saying arise in the English language, anyway? No answers to that, here, please, to avoid going off topic].
In conclusion, I will say - which may be of interest to others - is that the 'Superglue' which I have found to be really effective is sold under the trade name of 'Hard As Nails'. Works really well on the 8640 gears.

HTH.
Al.
Old 24th Sep 2020, 3:03 pm   #11
Skywave
Rest in Peace

One combination gear (the dual one: straight cut & bevel edge) now purchased; waiting for its delivery.
The other gears appear to be O.K.

Al.
Old 24th Sep 2020, 4:37 pm   #12
MrBungle
Dekatron

Let us know how it goes. I have avoided buying an 8640 twice now due to this risk
Old 24th Sep 2020, 10:37 pm   #13
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
Let us know how it goes.
Will do. I've just completed a report on my problem of 'The displayed frequency is wrong', q.v.

Al.
Closed Thread