UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Jan 2021, 6:29 pm   #41
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Wien 8TD3 8 Track Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogue man View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcMahon View Post

Spent ages cleaning off the old drive belt, some of it was really stubborn on the flywheel real hard and of course when softened, the mess it goes everywhere. IPA and Mentholated Spirits struggled, White Spirit and Lighter Fuel were slightly better, best was Cellulose Thinners but still not easy. A shame that the days that I could easily get access to Acetone are long gone.
Try nail varnish remover, this used to be Acetone.
Yes have heard of that before, I should have thought of that, now where is my nail varnish remover ?
Old 8th Jan 2021, 6:54 pm   #42
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Presently really struggling trying to open the National demonstration tape, to replace the broken splice.

It is a sealed type, no tabs/rivets. Can get the sides partially open around 2/3 of it but it is so tight and when trying to open another section one of the previously open bits snaps tightly shut. Do not want to be too brutal with it. Will get there.
Old 8th Jan 2021, 8:31 pm   #43
8 Tracker
Hexode

Is it a Lear Jet cart? They are swines to open without breaking something.
Old 8th Jan 2021, 9:21 pm   #44
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Yes it is.
Old 8th Jan 2021, 9:41 pm   #45
8 Tracker
Hexode

Start at the front, prise one side open with your fingers then insert a large flat-blade screwdriver into the gap. Do this on the angled front-edge. Twisting the scredriver should pop that corner open. Repeat the other side, then you can pop the three other fixings (one centre and two rear) by twisting and levering. You may be able to retrieve both ends of the tape without opening the cart fully, just popping open the front. Tweezers help here.

Mark.
Old 8th Jan 2021, 9:47 pm   #46
defender
Pentode

Mine wasn't changing track so I polished the contacts in the player and that cured it.
Old 8th Jan 2021, 10:22 pm   #47
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Tracker View Post
Start at the front, prise one side open with your fingers then insert a large flat-blade screwdriver into the gap. Do this on the angled front-edge. Twisting the scredriver should pop that corner open. Repeat the other side, then you can pop the three other fixings (one centre and two rear) by twisting and levering. You may be able to retrieve both ends of the tape without opening the cart fully, just popping open the front. Tweezers help here.

Mark.
Have gone round and round numerous times doing exactly that, sometimes with a lot of force, individual sections pop up quite easily but appear something solid is holding it near the middle, with result when attempting to open other bits, the previously opened sections snap shut with viscous force.

Need about 3 pairs of hands, trying to keep sections open by pushing in various items, I think soon something will break big time.

David
Old 8th Jan 2021, 10:26 pm   #48
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by defender View Post
Mine wasn't changing track so I polished the contacts in the player and that cured it.
I cleaned the contacts long ago and checked for good continuity across their faces and the lightest of touches with anything conductive immediately energises the solenoid, so 100% sure that the splice is not making sufficient physical contact due to the decomposed sponge or dirty/damaged splice etc.
Old 9th Jan 2021, 12:07 am   #49
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Found a large screw hiding under the tape label, luckily discovered before any damage done to the cartridge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210108_225942486_HDR.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	224169   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210108_225923183_HDR.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	224170  
Old 9th Jan 2021, 4:38 pm   #50
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Still cannot find my splices/pads kit, also cannot find my R2R foil splices

Did find one old/battered (unused) foil splice so fitted that and also fitted normal tape splice to rear side of tape for re-enforcement.

Small problem at the moment, cannot get rid of the excess tape loop, keep manually winding it forward which is really tedious as have to keep pulling the tape from the supply spool so it does not get tangled up.

The loop seems to be getting bigger not smaller.

May have to bite the bullet and cut some of the loop out and fit a normal splice to the new cut.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20210109_134103859.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	224205   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210109_134156854.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	224206   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210109_140702034.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	224208   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210109_134242589.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	224209  
Old 9th Jan 2021, 5:39 pm   #51
DMcMahon
Dekatron

With excess tape loop cut out then able to wind out small excess, that was not a good experience, am sure will get better with more hands on and improving the technique.

Now the automatic channel change over at end of programme is working well.

Get a pretty loud crack in both speakers when tape cartridge is removed, even with the amplifier volume control at minimum. Will try fitting a suppressor cap across the cartridge push switch, which switches one side of the mains input to the motor/transformer primary.
Old 9th Jan 2021, 9:03 pm   #52
Martin Bush
Octode

There is a trick to getting rid of excess tape. Put the cart back together with the loop coming safely out the centre gap. Hold the cart with the loop facing the floor and carefully give it a yank on the side that comes from the centre of the spool... it will self tension and go back as it should.

Theres videos about this that show it being done which is probably better than my description.
Old 9th Jan 2021, 9:12 pm   #53
8 Tracker
Hexode

Seems wrong doesn't it, that the way to get rid of excess tape is to pull out some more, but it does work. The less tape that's on the reel overall, the more difficult it is to get rid of the excess, because there's a smaller difference between the inside and outside diameters. I see your cart is very short so that would explain your troubles. You have to pull from the centre very carefully, so as to get the reel turning without any tape slipping out before the reel starts to revolve. As you've said, it gets easier. Wait till you have to rewind a cart, that really is fun....

Mark.
Old 9th Jan 2021, 10:25 pm   #54
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Bush View Post
There is a trick to getting rid of excess tape. Put the cart back together with the loop coming safely out the centre gap. Hold the cart with the loop facing the floor and carefully give it a yank on the side that comes from the centre of the spool... it will self tension and go back as it should.
Thank you Martin, I will give that a try next time, sounds a lot easier.

David
Old 9th Jan 2021, 10:28 pm   #55
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Tracker View Post
The less tape that's on the reel overall, the more difficult it is to get rid of the excess, because there's a smaller difference between the inside and outside diameters.
Yes realised that if the cart had been full then it may have been easier, due to the larger outside diameter winding up more tape for less turns.

David
Old 10th Jan 2021, 12:42 am   #56
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Fitted a 0.1uF 275VAC X2 Poly mains suppression capacitor across the cartridge push switch and thankfully this has fully eliminated the loud cracks in the loudspeakers when cartridge removed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20210109_232208366.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	224257  
Old 10th Jan 2021, 11:53 am   #57
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Soak testing the operation using a Hollies Greatest Hits tape, all working well.

When I find my pressure pads/splices kit I will replace the pressure pad and splice on this tape and other tapes.
Closed Thread