UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Jan 2021, 4:23 pm   #21
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: English-language broadcasts on shortwave in 2021

And standard frequency transmissions!

Operating a shortwave broadcast station isn't just a matter of feeding a hungry transmitter plenty of electricity, there is also the upkeep. For large antennae and towers this is a sizeable cost. Someone is paying a lot of money just to talk to you, so it is wise to question their motives. As they say, if you're not paying for it, you are the product, not the customer.

Wikipedia says that 'brother Stair' was paying $1.8 million per year for the airtime he bought, some years ago.

His output simply isn't as jolly as the tractor production figures summary from Radio Moscow of yore.

While the technology of shortwave broadcast transmitters and receivers is fascinating, healthy skepticism is advised over the content.

David
Old 24th Jan 2021, 1:58 am   #22
Jolly 7
Octode

Here's one that I've just heard for the first time. Nationwide KBC radio on 5960 kHz (49 m band). Playing Rock music with English-speaking DJ. Heard around 0045 GMT on Sunday 24 January. Good signal.
Old 24th Jan 2021, 8:03 pm   #23
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly 7 View Post
Here's one that I've just heard for the first time. Nationwide KBC radio on 5960 kHz (49 m band). Playing Rock music with English-speaking DJ. Heard around 0045 GMT on Sunday 24 January. Good signal.
That's one I've not heard before - will try for it later tonight on my Eddystone 840A 'bedside radio'.

Today being a Sunday there were quite a number of the usual free-radio stations audible between 6200 and 6400KHz - and as usual their audio-quality varied from carbon-mic-in-a-chemical-toilet-bucket-nasty to better-than-the-BBC HiFi AM occupying 20KHz to good effect.
Old 25th Jan 2021, 1:52 am   #24
Jolly 7
Octode

Mighty KBC radio is not audible tonight on 5960 kHz. It may be a Saturday or Sunday-only broadcast. I heard a Chinese radio station instead on this frequency tonight, possibly PBS.

Last edited by Jolly 7; 25th Jan 2021 at 2:11 am. Reason: Day of transmission
Old 31st Jan 2021, 2:00 am   #25
Jolly 7
Octode

Mighty KBC radio is back on 5960 kHz tonight.
Closed Thread