UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Dec 2020, 7:31 pm   #21
jamesinnewcastl
Heptode

Default Re: AN/APS-15 radar.

Oh My

It's got a rhumbatron, made my year, and just in time!

Cheers
James
Old 24th Dec 2020, 2:18 am   #22
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinnewcastl View Post
Oh My

It's got a rhumbatron, made my year, and just in time!

Cheers
James
I noticed that and it made for some interesting Googling.
Old 24th Dec 2020, 5:34 am   #23
Radio Wrangler

I think what's labelled as "Soft Rhumbatron" will be the reflex-klystron local oscillator for the receiver. The actual Rhumbatron will be the drift-space resonator within the klystron.

An unusual metal valve with a bellows at the top end. A mechanical lever and screw arrangement allowed the internal reflector to be moved to tune the LO to match the magnetron with an offset to create the wanted IF.

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/356347389268550068/

When Henry Tizard and his delegation went to the US to enlist their help in building radar gear, they showed the Americans our cavity magnetron, and also the reflex klystron LO needed for the matching receiver. The technology was passed on to a bunch headed by a couple of people....

Norman Ramsey had been a researcher in molecular beam physics and may well have invented what turned into the MRI scanner. He later founded Fermilab, the US equivalent to CERN, and he copped a Nobel prize for inventing the coupled oscillatory mode hydrogen MASER frequency standard. I met him in 2005, close to his 90th birthday at ISEF, a really nice chap and very interesting. It's quite strange meeting one of the gods of the field you work in, and it's a relief to find a straight-forward human being, just with a generous dose of curiosity.

One of the other guys was Vannevar Bush of MIT, who went on to found Raytheon, one of the big makers of radar/microwave thermionics.

David