UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Apr 2019, 6:19 pm   #1
vintagesharon
Retired Dormant Member

Default Connoisseur Mark II Cartridge

Hello,
I have one of these that I bought in 1970's. Trying to date it and find out what record player it went with. It was a childhood jumble sale purchase.
Its in original box. Counterweight is present but loose (I've had a peep inside casing)

Saw that there was a thread here some years ago and it's the only place (other than Russia and China) that I can find it mentioned.

Thanks VS

Last edited by AC/HL; 18th Apr 2019 at 7:52 pm. Reason: Forum rules
Old 18th Apr 2019, 9:30 pm   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Connoisseur Mark II Cartridge

It probably went with Arnold Sugden's SAU2 arm and Connoisseur Craftsman turntable, which would likely have been in a homemade plinth to go with almost anything.

Memory is flakey, but it's probably a medium output ceramic.

A neighbour used to use one with an Armstrong valved tuner-amp and a pair of Connoisseur column speakers. He later changed to a Pickering P/ATE cartridge and a Marantz tuner/amp.

David
Old 19th Apr 2019, 9:42 pm   #3
Beobloke
Heptode

Probably a Connoisseur SCU2 cartridge. Not owned one myself but it’s rumoured to be quite good.
Old 20th Apr 2019, 6:42 am   #4
Electronpusher0
Nonode

My first deck was a Connoisseur BD1 belt drive deck and SAU2 arm. The speed change was totally manual (move the belt on the drive cog using fingers) and the SAU2 pivots were mounted at 45 degrees. These were sold as kits for self assembly into home made plinths.
I recently got hold of its successor, the BD2 which was simply a BD1 and SAU2 mounted on a plinth. They did update the speed change to a lever control for the BD2.
I also recently acquired a BD1in a rather sorry state for restoration.
My BD2 has a Goldring G800 fitted.
The main problem with them is that the rubber band motor suspension perishes and the motor falls off.

Peter
Old 20th Apr 2019, 7:03 am   #5
mole42uk
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronpusher0 View Post
The main problem with them is that the rubber band motor suspension perishes and the motor falls off.

Peter
An easy fix though. My BD1 was bought in 1974 and is still used regularly. It’s probably had several replacement rubber bands on the motor mount and one new drive belt…

The OP does mention a counterweight- I wonder what that is?

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
Old 20th Apr 2019, 8:27 am   #6
Herald1360
Dekatron

Maybe literally a "terminological inexactitude". A picture of the device in question would settle the issue.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 20th Apr 2019, 8:05 pm   #7
Electronpusher0
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole42uk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronpusher0 View Post

Peter
An easy fix though. My BD1 was bought in 1974 and is still used regularly. It’s probably had several replacement rubber bands on the motor mount and one new drive belt…
I now use neoprene O rings as the motor suspension instead of the original rubber bands, pretty much a permanent fix.

Peter
Old 20th Apr 2019, 8:37 pm   #8
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

I think the Mk 2 was a mono pickup, with an earlier arm than the SAU series. Likewise, the only stereo pickup I remember was the SCU1 ceramic - about on a par with the Deram.
Closed Thread